• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

Scribe

Legend
Any job so menial repetitive or simplistic we could automate it liberates a human that could do something better.

If working a till is replaced, what of the people who cannot realistically do more? Reception, anything automated by robots, fast food, pump your own gas.

What entry level jobs did you work, and are they still around for kids to get their feet wet?

"Pick up a shovel."

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I thought you meant stealing.....

But you said any job so boring and repetitive that a computer can do liberates us. Exactly how should we read that, other than it is beneath us?
You’re somehow confusing me with a poster I’m actively disagreeing with.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
We are not prepared for the disruption that is coming, regardless of beneficial impacts.

It’s decades not centuries away.

I don’t pretend to know what will happen. Surely machines and technology have obviated a lot of jobs before. But the scale of this is going to be outsized.

People evolved to survive. I just don’t know how our species will adapt to these upcoming radical changes.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
We are not prepared for the disruption that is coming, regardless of beneficial impacts.

It’s decades not centuries away.

I don’t pretend to know what will happen. Surely machines and technology have obviated a lot of jobs before. But the scale of this is going to be outsized.

People evolved to survive. I just don’t know how our species will adapt to these upcoming radical changes.
That’s exactly the problem. Before it was one job or one industry at a time. There were loads of other jobs the displaced could move to. That’s not the reality today. “AI” and automation are taking dozens or hundreds of kinds of jobs across practically every industry. People displaced from their jobs tend to find new, lower-skilled jobs. Trouble is those lower-skilled jobs are the ones most affected by ”AI” and automation. With things like “AI” lawyers and generative “AI” creating images, videos, and text that displacement is creeping up the ladder to higher-skilled jobs. So you have more and more increasingly overqualified people competing for fewer and fewer jobs. Under capitalism you need a job to afford to live. So that’s going to result in massive unemployment, homelessness, and the swathe of problems that entails.

But sure. “I get to type in a sting of words and the magic box shows me a pretty picture, so it’s all good.”

Warpiglet-7

That’s exactly the problem. Before it was one job or one industry at a time. There were loads of other jobs the displaced could move to. That’s not the reality today. “AI” and automation are taking dozens or hundreds of jobs across practically every industry. People displaced from their jobs tend to find new, lower-skilled jobs. Trouble is those lower-skilled jobs are the ones most affected by ”AI” and automation. With things like “AI” lawyers and generative “AI” creating images, videos, and text that displacement is creeping up the ladder to higher-skilled jobs. So you have more and more increasingly overqualified people competing for fewer and fewer jobs. Under capitalism you need a job to afford to live. So that’s going to result in massive unemployment, homelessness, and the swathe of problems that entails.

But sure. “I get to type in a sting of words and the magic box shows me a pretty picture, so it’s all good.”
For years my friend has fantasize about less human interaction. Fully remote work. I sort of scoffed given my profession.

Then Covid happens and I was delivering sercices/working virtually. All good. They need my brain.

But too shall pass. We will be able to program financial advisors, psychotherapists, dieticians, you name it. Then what?

Scribe

Legend
psychotherapists

One of the more popular chat bots, for the generation that in another age would have been diagnosed clinically as addicted to their phones (I read an article on this recently) is an AI Psychologist.

"Its so great though, just think of the things we can be doing instead!"

Yes yes, just get me on my 5 acres so I can grow my grapes and make wine. Oh, the billions in India and China want that too? Hmm...

Warpiglet-7

One of the more popular chat bots, for the generation that in another age would have been diagnosed clinically as addicted to their phones (I read an article on this recently) is an AI Psychologist.

"Its so great though, just think of the things we can be doing instead!"

Yes yes, just get me on my 5 acres so I can grow my grapes and make wine. Oh, the billions in India and China want that too? Hmm...
I will retire in 15 years I hope…so I am ok. I just worry about the youngsters…

Remove ads