• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Agility System - More Actions!

Camelot

Adventurer
While thinking of ideas for my own RPG system, a friend suggested including an "agility system." This system will be included in a normal initiative style combat system to allow characters who attack and move faster to get more actions. I need some help coming up with a structure that will be balanced and easy to implement in a tabletop game.

Every combatant will get one turn in each round, in initiative order, as normal. However, in between every round, agile characters will get extra actions. The frequency of this opportunity is determined by the characters ability score, which brings me to my first problem. How can I translate a number representing agility into the number of rounds that combatant has to wait until it can get another free action?

I also am having trouble coming up with a way to even come up with a characters agility score. Should it be based on an attribute (assuming that there are a number of attributes that function similar to the familiar Str, Con, Dex, etc.)? I want weapons and armor to have an effect on agility as well. Heavy armor and weapons should reduce agility, whereas light weapons are of course easier to attack fast with. How can I calculate agility scores?

Lastly, I want the system to be balanced. Characters with a higher agility should have a lower average damage than slower characters before the agility system is applied. The agility system balances out this difference in damage output by giving the weaker combatants more attacks. How can I make this system balanced?

So, to summarize:
* Agility sytem allows agile characters to take extra actions every few rounds.
* How to calculate combatants' agility scores, using combatant's equipment and own stats.
* How to translate that score into how many rounds the combatant has to wait before getting extra actions?
* How to make the system balanced?

I would like to hear what anyone has to say. I only have the idea for what I want the system to do, not how I want it to work, so I'm open to any ideas. The system needs to be balanced, implementable in a tabletop game, and fun! Thank you for your help!

Asmor

First Post
Well, first you should figure out what sort of range you want. How frequently should an average character get an extra action, what about a good or a poor one? What are the extreme limits?

Here are some ideas, irrespective of the range.

1. Each player gets a speed point at the end of each turn. If they have at least (agility) points, they can spend all their points to gain an extra action (in other words, a lower agility is better).

2. Each player gains a number of speed points equal to their agility each turn. They can spend all of their points, but at least X points, to gain an extra action (higher agility is better).

3. Keep track of the round number. Each character gets an extra action if the round number is divisible by their agility (lower agility better).

4. Each player gets an action point. They may spend it to take an extra action. When they do, they place the action point on a speed track, in a spot based on their agility. Each round, they move their action point up 1 spot. When it reaches 0, they get the point back.

pawsplay

Hero
Some versions of Shadowrun address this, although the actions are described as being later in the round rather than between rounds. Same with Feng Shui. I believe Spycraft uses some kind of dynamic initiative sytem.

Krensky

First Post
Some versions of Shadowrun address this, although the actions are described as being later in the round rather than between rounds. Same with Feng Shui. I believe Spycraft uses some kind of dynamic initiative sytem.

SpyCraft's dynamic initiative system is more subtle, I suppose is the word, then what he's describing. Certain actions (aiming, refreshing) raise your initiative, and others (firing heavy weapons, usinng big melee weapons, delaying) reduce it. Taking wound damage or being subject to certain attacks will lower it.

If it falls below 0 it resets to 10, but you loose actions and take penalties. If it's above 25 you can Press, taking a single action at your current count, drop your count by 20, and two actions at your new count.

A number of expert classes drop the cost of pressing, and a large number of options provide final attacks, which are somewhat like a cleave or attack of opportunity. Probably my favorite Initiative modifying ability is the Lightning Reflexes feat, bonus to Reflex save and roll Initiative twice, keeping whichever.

From my experience with Shadowrun... I'd recommend against it on a general basis. Not alone for balance reasons - maybe you could even get that done - but because it means that the "slower" character gets less to do in each round, and gets simply less spotlight/playtime.

[/Partypooper]

---

That said:
How much "worth" are these actions? Are they full set of actions with moves (does that make sense?) and attacks? What kind of restrictions might apply? The "weaker" these extra actions actually are, the more you can give.

In Shadowrun 3E, your initiative roll decided how many actions you had. You rolled a d6+Reaction Attribute (an ability based on Intelligence and Charisma), certain spells and equipment boosting it further (common "extra" was something like +2 to +4 to +1d6 to +2d6). Every 10 points gave you one set of actions (2 simple actions or one complex action). Movement is no action, it just modifies certain checks depending on how fast you were. (If you wanted to sprint, it took actions.)
In SR 4E, the type of reflex enhancement you had (typically 3 levels) determined how many initiative passes (á 2 simple actions each as in 3E) you had. I found this more elegant, but still flawed for the basic reason I mentioned at the start of the post. ;)

Now, if we assume something like D&D 4E, the following ability scores make sense to me to use:
- Dexterity (physical reflexes), Intelligence (mental reflexes), Wisdom (as Perception attribute)
Possible way: Pick the highest of the ability scores and use the ability modifier (without level bonus)
All benefits cumulative:
1 or less: No change
2-3: +1 Minor Action
4-5: +1 Immediate Action
6-7: +1 basic attack
8+: Subtract by 5 and check table above.
Or add ability scores:
35 or less: No Change
36-40: +1 Immediate Action
41-45: +1 Minor Action
46-50: +1 Standard Action.
More than 50: Subtract value by 20 and consult the table again.

Extra Standard actions occur after every one else has taken his first turn. Everyone with an extra standard action then acts according to his initiative with this action remaining. Repeat until no one has any more extra standard actions to take.

Psimancer

First Post
Off the top of my head (using 4e as a base - sorry):

* Agility = Initiative (Dex + 1/2 Lvl - Talent vs Experience equals out)

* In order for equipment to come into play, initiative needs be rolled each and every round - it also normalizes the randomness of the initiative roll over the course of the combat

* High initiative rolls every round not only determines initiative order, but the high totals give 'beanies' (for lack of a better term). You can spend X number to take another 'action' (ala 4e Action Point)

* Play test :p

(And thanks for the op to procrastinate and avoid doing work documentation :))

Wik

First Post
A much better, and simpler system, was found in the d6 rules. Basically, when you made a skill check, you rolled X dice and summed them up, with X being your rating in the skill. For every action you took beyond the first, you suffered -1 to each die roll. So, if you shot a gun three times, each roll would be at X-2.

The higher your skill, the more actions you could take and still be expected to succeed at. But if you got greedy with actions, all of them failed.

Take something similar. However, your agility attribute is basically a "pillow" of free actions per encounter (call it "adrenaline" or something, if you like). Instead of subtracting a die from your rolls, you instead spend one point of agility to cover the loss. Once you hit a point, though, you will start flubbing on your rolls.

If characters only get ONE action per round without penalty (and one action would be "move", "shoot", "Load my gun", etc), then being able to spend agility points becomes very important to cover your losses.

That being said, I'd make sure your other attributes are also very useful, to prevent people from loading into Agility. For example, Strength is both your ability to inflict damage, and your ability to resist damage (in D&D terms, STRENGTH and CONSTITUTION combined). Intelligence is somehow related to how you gain experience in game. And Spirit/Charisma translates to a "luck" mechanic that can let the player take control of the plot.

Just my two cents.

Camelot

Adventurer
Thanks to everyone for the ideas so far; this is definitely helping.

So far, I'm leaning towards one of two ideas.

1) Initiative is rolled at the beginning of the encounter, and agility is rolled at the beginning of each turn. You get a normal set of action (minor, move, standard, or whatever it will be) but your agility roll can get you extra actions (a low DC gets you a minor action, a medium DC is a move, and a high DC is a standard). This stat probably won't be based off of any of your stats, just your equipment, though I'm still working on that.

2) Agile characters get more turns with less actions, but slow characters get less turns with more actions, so it changes strategy but maintains balance of the action economy.

I'm open to any more thoughts, as this is barely even beginning to be conceived.
(And thanks for the op to procrastinate and avoid doing work documentation :))
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean, but because of the smiley I won't get offended. =)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads