• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Worms: A DM’s question.

borc killer

First Post
Age of Worms: A DM’s question.

So… don’t read on if you have not finished the Age of Worms.

So… did anyone else’s PCs not stop the sacrifice of the Champaign of Grayhawk and cause 10,000+ people to die in a very spectacular way? How did you handle it?

My PCs totally botched the end… I ended up having to use the Circle of Eight to get things under control… which I HATED doing. I really had no other way to fix the situation and in a city with TONS of high level NPCs SOMEONE had to step in…

Borc Killer

Hi Everyone,

Spoilers ahead...

[sblock]My guys are yet to get up to the Champion's Games (they're just about to deal with Zyrxog so they're almost there). However, they have caused a semi-apocalypse in the Mistmarsh being forced to run away from the onslaught of the dragon's egg. As such, my guys already have form on the board. :D I'm sure they can botch up the games as well.

However, with the previous one, two of the characters left the group to try and mop up. If they stuff up at the champion's games though, we're talking real apocalypse time. There's not going to be any Circle of the Eight coming to their rescue either (the Circle are lost in my "Dark Greyhawk" campaign world where Iuz effectively won).

It will turn Greyhawk into a zombietown but if that's what happens then so be it. There will be pockets of control but it will shift the campaign in a very different direction (which is cool). They can get back on track later on if need be. However, I can certainly understand you having to pull out the Mordenkainen recues everyone card.[/sblock]

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Altamont Ravenard said:
In what adventure does this all happen again?

AR

The Champion's Belt.

My PCs managed to stop the sacrifice... which was pretty impressive, given that the Champion in question had 2 hp at the time Mr U. attacked.

Cheers!

borc killer

First Post
MerricB said:
The Champion's Belt.

My PCs managed to stop the sacrifice... which was pretty impressive, given that the Champion in question had 2 hp at the time Mr U. attacked.

Cheers!

Yea it was a very close thing with my group. I am going to have them run a side adventure and kill the Apostle (who escaped to the swear systems with a horde of undead) will the rest of the city works on the suffice undead. I really wish the designers had put a little bit into 'what if' as the main reason I am running the Age of Worms is that I just don’t have time to make adventures any more.

Borc Kill

James Jacobs

Adventurer
borc killer said:
Yea it was a very close thing with my group. I am going to have them run a side adventure and kill the Apostle (who escaped to the swear systems with a horde of undead) will the rest of the city works on the suffice undead. I really wish the designers had put a little bit into 'what if' as the main reason I am running the Age of Worms is that I just don’t have time to make adventures any more.

Borc Kill

Alas, "The Champion's Belt" was the longest of all the Age of Worms adventures, so it more than any other installment simply didn't have the room to go into further detail about some aspects of the adventure. Since the adventure assumes the PCs manage to prevent the cataclysmic possiblity, we chose to leave the repurcussions to this event, should it occur, to the individual DM. Having the gods or the Circle of Eight step in to handle the situation is a perfectly acceptable deus ex machina to preserve the Free City, but it's just as acceptable to assume that a "Dawn of the Dead" type scenario takes over the city. In this case, the PCs' flight from the city (one assumes to Diamond Lake for the next adventure) might be understandable.

If you don't have time to plan out a full undead apocalypse for Greyhawk, I'd recommend tracking down a copy of Dungeon #113 (or if you have a copy of Shackled City, that works too); the city in peril adventure "Foundations of Flame" contains a large number of events that can be adjusted to model an undead invasion. Perhaps if the PCs can successfully navigate, say, 5 of these events, they'll be able to hold off the undead doom long enough for the other NPCs in the city to get the situation under control.

Remove ads