• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E African deities/campaign setting or area?

Uchawi

First Post
You could strip out Gulg from Dark Sun complete with the sorcerer-queen Lalali-Puy. That has an African tone to it. But overall and I am not aware of a D&D setting that elevates an African theme.

E

Elderbrain

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I really found the Nyambe setting interesting, so I'll put in another vote for that. It would be great if it has a 5E update (not sure who has the rights or whether that's likely to happen).

I haven't looked at the Southlands, but Kobold Press generally does good work too.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I think everything you want is in Nyambe. It was developed as an alternative Player's Handbook during the early 3rd Edition era, with an African mythological base instead of a Western European one.

It is phenomenal and includes everything you seem to be seeking.

Did anybody else note that someone has voted this thread down to one star, and yet the thread itself is brief, helpful, and civil? That smells fishy to me.

I'm gonna vote 5 stars to balance it out.

Did anybody else note that someone has voted this thread down to one star, and yet the thread itself is brief, helpful, and civil? That smells fishy to me.

I'm gonna vote 5 stars to balance it out.

Ditto. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, but that definitely doesn't pass the "good faith" sniff test. I'd like to think better of ENWorlders, but there's always a few...

Nyambe looks pretty interesting, though hard to get here in the UK (60 quid on Amazon, or ship it from America on Ebay for 3 quid and 25 quid shipping). Can anyone offer opinions of how it stacks up against Southlands by Kobold Press? It occurs to me that adding a well-researched Africa analogue to my homebrew setting might be a good idea, and that I'm very unlikely to ever develop the knowledge of Africa myself to do such a thing justice, so I'm tempted to pick one of these two up and slot it in.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Nyambe looks pretty interesting, though hard to get here in the UK (60 quid on Amazon, or ship it from America on Ebay for 3 quid and 25 quid shipping). Can anyone offer opinions of how it stacks up against Southlands by Kobold Press? It occurs to me that adding a well-researched Africa analogue to my homebrew setting might be a good idea, and that I'm very unlikely to ever develop the knowledge of Africa myself to do such a thing justice, so I'm tempted to pick one of these two up and slot it in.

Can't compare the two, but I own Nyambe and am quite happy with it. It'd need some rules updates if I was going to drop it into 5e, but the setting is very mythic and magical. It's also made to drop into an existing setting (Nyambe is a land influenced by the "european" and "arabic" worlds around it, forex).

Remove ads