• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure Path Participation?

Elodan

Adventurer
I’m defining an adventure path as linked adventure books like Rise of the Runelords by Paizo or a campaign in a book like Rime of the Frostmaiden by WotC.

How many adventure pathhave you participated in, either as a player or GM?

Did you finish the entire path or did the campaign end early? Why did it end early (if it did)?

How long in real time did the campaign last?

Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A few. The Dragonlance modules. Age of Worms. War of the Burning Sky. Curse of Strand. And others! Currently halfway through Paizo's Extinction Curse AP. We pretty much always finish them.

aco175

Legend
My brother ran the 3e Age of Worms path back in the day. I think it took about a year to play through to the end. Hail Zeetch

I ran the first Phandalin box set, LMoP when 5e started. We played past the box and played another campaign, homebrew, in the same region. Just finished the Elemental Evil story and even played past the book a few adventures. That took about 1.25 years with a few homebrew side treks. Just started the 2nd box set for Phandalin, DoIP which started 2 week ago and should go past the box and killing the dragon.

Retreater

Legend
I'll do my best to remember, but there have been many.
Shackled City (DM): We quit before starting the 4th chapter of the hardcover. The players found it was getting too challenging. I overwhelmed them with details, and they used investigation and divination magic to unravel much of the plot, which left them too terrified to continue.
Council of Thieves (Player): We stopped after the second book. A pivotal character was killed in a meaningless combat and the DM was unable to continue the story.
Kingmaker (GM): We stopped after completing the third book. The 4th and 5th books looked weak and repetitive. The challenges ahead also looked unsurmountable and the players thought it would be impossible and wanted a restart.
Shattered Star (GM): We stopped a session or two into this one because a player's spouse died unexpectedly. The heavy tone, preponderance of undead seemed distasteful so we tried a more "light-hearted" campaign.
Legacy of Fire (GM): We stopped in the first book after the party got stomped in an arena (I think). It was too hard, and they wanted to quit.
Rise of the Runelords (GM): I started running this at my FLGS. The party got to the first dungeon, decided it was too difficult to try to enter it (I think they had to cross a bridge), so they turned back and returned to Sandpoint. End of campaign.
Mummy's Mask (GM): We played one session of this. Schedules didn't work out.
Hoard of the Dragon Queen (DM): I ran this at the FLGS after running years of 4e D&D Encounters and the D&D Next Playtest. I feel that there was a TPK around the midpoint of the book. We ultimately quit because the group wasn't consistent, and I think there were like 8 players on average, and it was exhausting.
Masks of Nyarlahotep (Keeper): We completed this one in about six months of biweekly play. It ended in a pyrrhic victory, but the world was saved at great personal cost. Ended up being one of the best campaigns I ever ran.
Out of the Abyss (DM): I've attempted to run this one twice. The first time, the group was captured by duergar in Gracklstugh (about a third into the book) and were killed in a bad escape attempt. The second group a couple years later were convinced they were in over their heads after Sloobludop (very early into the campaign) and were clearly not having fun. I let them escape the Underdark and ran homebrew for the rest of that campaign - which is currently on pause from the pandemic. (Those guys are great. Mostly new to role-playing. They are my friend's coworkers, and he asked me to come in and run a one-shot to show them what D&D is - and we've been playing close to 2 years.)
Storm King's Thunder (DM): Honestly, I stopped running this one a couple chapters in, because I thought it was terrible. I continued with a general giant-themed story and we played through to a climactic end.
Princes of the Apocalypse (DM): I've also attempted this one twice. The first time was running it piecemeal and skipping around with my college gaming buddies when we got together a few times a year. They focused on one elemental prince and did a dungeon related to that prince each time we'd get together over a period of a couple years. Ultimately there was an epic showdown with Imix - and it was amazing. The other time I tried to run this I was running it with my girlfriend and her family, including her dad who had gotten her into the hobby when she was younger. He hadn't played D&D in probably 15 years, and it was awesome. Then I killed her family with a random encounter with gnolls. And we broke up soon afterwards - so that game ended.
Tomb of Annihilation (DM): I ran this one to its conclusion. A big, epic fight at the end of the dungeon. We had a good campaign, even if I ended up glossing over the jungle exploration after a few months of real time of nothing but random encounters.
The King in Yellow (Keeper): The group's second foray into Cthulhu didn't go so well. Early in the book they had a TPK to a group of ghouls. Apparently, they thought they were playing D&D. We decided to stop Cthulhu and try out WFRPG (see below).
Enemy Within (GM): We had a couple good sessions in the first book, Enemy in Shadows. After completing the second chapter, one of the players had to relocate for work. That left only three players, and they wanted to try out PF2 (see below).
Dungeon of the Mad Mage (DM): My college gaming buddies who finished PotA wanted to have a fun, old-school dungeon to play online since our occasional gaming weekends were getting harder to schedule. Over a month of weekly play, the dungeon was clearly not doing the trick. They had explored about half of the first level, which was mostly empty, uninspired, and didn't provide the fun experience they were wanting, so we switched to an adventure from Yawning Portal and enjoyed it more.
Dragon Heist (DM): Tired of dungeons for a bit, the college buddies wanted a city module. I had reservations about it due to the bad reviews, but they wanted to play it anyway. We did finish it, even if they completely bypassed a lot of the encounters, the chase scene, etc., because they had good rolls, played intelligently, and figured out everything quickly. The vault can be a textbook definition of anti-climactic.
Curse of Strahd (DM): Completed this one. The same group of players who ran away from Out of the Abyss, realizing we weren't getting back to that in-person game anytime soon wanted to try Curse of Strahd. We finished this one in about 6 months of weekly play. After some OSR gaming, they're now trying Frostmaiden (see below).
Age of Ashes (GM): The group that went from Cthulhu to WFRPG is something of an experimental group, always wanting to test out new rules sets. We started Age of Ashes in person then shifted to Roll20 during the pandemic. We completed the second book before ending the game due to the difficulty of the campaign, and interpersonal relationships.
Barrowmaze (DM): I've been running this as a casual weekly drop-in game for 2-3 months for my wife and her brother. They are having a good time, but we're only in the first level of the dungeon (which is massive).
Rime of the Frostmaiden (DM): Had our first actual play session last night with the OotA/CoS group. Very nearly was a TPK in the first encounter, but still going strong at this time.

Whew. That's a lot of games. So my current games are
1 College buddies, where I'm currently a player for a change in an Old School Essentials game of Caverns of Thracia.
2 My wife and in-laws playing Barrowmaze in 5e.
3 My friend's co-workers, just starting Frostmaiden in 5e.
4 Starting Abomination Vaults in PF2 for some folks I met on here just to see if PF2 can be salvaged from our bad experiences.

delericho

Legend
Three. We completed "Shackled City", which stands as one of the best campaigns I've run ever. "Savage Tide" didn't go so well - that campaign collapsed after two sessions, I think, though I can't remember exactly why. And "Storm King's Thunder" ended in a TPK in the fire giant lair.

S'mon

Legend
I’m defining an adventure path as linked adventure books like Rise of the Runelords by Paizo or a campaign in a book like Rime of the Frostmaiden by WotC.

Did you finish the entire path or did the campaign end early? Why did it end early (if it did)?

Thanks.
#1 Curse of the Crimson Throne - except most of Book 4 - in PF

#2 & #3 Run together as single campaign in 5e
Rise of the Runelords - except most of Book 5
Shattered Star - Book 4 was a slog, but we got through it! :)
Been using parts of Return of the Runelords too (PCs are well into 20th level)

#4 Princes of the Apocalypse (5e)

I mostly do non-AP sandboxes though. Generally it seems more fun if the group don't feel locked in to a single 'path'.

S'mon

Legend
#1 Curse of the Crimson Throne - except most of Book 4 - in PF

#2 & #3 Run together as single campaign in 5e
Rise of the Runelords - except most of Book 5
Shattered Star - Book 4 was a slog, but we got through it! :)
Been using parts of Return of the Runelords too (PCs are well into 20th level)

#4 Princes of the Apocalypse (5e)

I mostly do non-AP sandboxes though. Generally it seems more fun if the group don't feel locked in to a single 'path'.

Oh, counting failed stuff, I tried running Lost Mine of Phandelver but wasn't enjoying it.

aramis erak

Legend

Thanks.
The Enemy Within (WFRP 1E). I've run all the modules, but never all for one group. I've run it through everything but Empire in Flames twice in the 1990s. I've run it through Death on the Reik twice more.

The (rather short) Adventures 2/3/12 path for Classic Traveller. (These are thematically linked, and do all tie in together.) All together, about 6 to 15 sessions in those three little books. Titles: Research Station Gamma, Twilight's Peak, and Secret of the Ancients. I also ran Shadows (DA1) between A2 and A3, then Werewolf (from JTAS) between A3 and A12. Done that twice. (Second time was using TNE, not CT)

The whole GDQ sequence under AD&D 1E (munchkined all to hell), under AD&D 2E with the 1E modules, and AD&D 2E with the 2E version - this is the only one not completed; TPK in G3. I've also played as a player the AD&D 1E version under BX... Even more munchkined. This is the only path I've played as a player.

Dragonlance - The 25th anniversary version of the DL line of adventures, but run under DL5A. We got about 1/2 way through, and then key players had acute attacks of job interference with social lives, and the others tossed the towel in. I do think that the DL5A game is a better fit to the setting.

Doomstones (WFRP1) made it through vol. 4. It's a badly adapted AD&D campaign masquerading as a WFRP one. It's a good adventure, but it would have been far easier and far more fun under a less brutal game engine.

The majority of the Star Trek Adventures playtest modules. Some were good, some weren't, and some were obvious bad fits for my players. My favorite of the bunch is "Doomed to Repeat the Past"... which is written for TNG era, and involves Enterprise elements. I'm half-tempted to run it for a Klingon crew in the TOS era.
I have issues with STA, but they're solvable.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I’ve run quite a few, though I’ve only played in one.

APs I GMed
  • Scales of War (4e): I thought it was okay. The adventures were kind of disjoint because they were designed to be used separately outside of the AP. This campaign ended due to group dynamics. I basically hit my limit on dealing with one of the players and canceled the campaign. The group reconstituted (mix of old and new players) and switched to Pathfinder.
  • Council of Thieves (PF1): I ran the first book. It was my first Pathfinder 1e game and my first exposure to Paizo’s adventures. I wish I had gotten to finish it, but we only got through book 1 before the group fell apart due to poor attendance. This was a side game separate from the regular group.
  • Kingmaker (PF1): We played this to completion (took ~18 months playing weekly). It’s my group’s favorite AP. I probably gelled with us the most because my group seems to like exploration-based play. I had a lot of fun inserting new scenarios to flesh out life in the kingdom. The final battle was beautifully epic (spoilered below).
  • Rise of the Runelords (PF1): This one was going pretty well. Even though it was more story-driven, I still found spots to insert new material. We played out the trial and execution of Nualia (which I did to set up later events). My players liked the haunted house. The campaign ended in a TPK at the end of book 2 due to some bad choices by the players (“You didn’t heal up before battle? Do you want to do that? No? Well, okay ….”).
  • Shattered Star (PF1): The first two books were pretty good. I was able to use the Tower Girls to play against players’ expectations, and that was fun. While incredibly linear, I loved the trap that turns you into a clone of Sorshen. I was expecting that to be a lot of fun, but the campaign ended in book 3 when we decided to stop because the dungeon was so bad.
  • Tyranny of Dragons (5e): Hoard of the Dragon Queen was crap, but we finished it (took I dunno). I tried to make the best of it, but we never went on to do Rise of Tiamat. Some of the smaller sections were a fun, but everything was so on the rails. I can’t even remember how we ended it (whether I ended it on a cliffhanger or just let them fly away with their island).
We said we would get back to it Shattered Star, but we never did. After that, I think I ran Dragon’s Demand then we tried some other systems like Dungeon World and Fate. When we came back to Pathfinder 1e and tried Pathfinder 2e, I ran homebrew stuff instead of adventures. I’m currently running a sandbox *crawl in OSE (which started out in 5e then switched to PF2 then switched to OSE).

Update: I also want to call out Rise of the Runelords as having the most ridiculous combat I have ever run. It went 40 rounds. The party had gotten into a fight with a goblin druid and lost. They woke up captured, but someone had opened the door to their cell. The players thought it was a trick, so they snuck out of the goblins’ fort and attacked it from the front. They eventually retreated. 😒

APs I Played
  • Masks of Nyarlathotep (CoC): We just finished this one up a few months ago (took ~15 months playing every two weeks or so). It went about a year and a half (maybe less). I thought it was okay, but the pacing felt really screwy. I think part of the problem was group dynamics. The group was really risk averse, but that can be paralyzing. It didn’t help that the game was run like a sandbox, but we had things we needed to accomplish (but never got a good sense of just where that ended). It was fun though. In the epilogue, my character was still out there, leading a group against the remaining cultist site to seal it.
The final battle in Kingmaker gives Nyrissa a huge list of tactics and things she can do. I ignored it. She wasted way too many actions just putzing around. Instead I did the obvious thing and spammed quickened prismatic spray. The combat lasted three or four rounds, and that was it. However, after the first round, half the party and their followers were either dead, petrified, or on another plane of existence. After a few more rounds, they were down to pretty much one PC, who was the one with Briar. He was down to only a few hit points left, but he had one more turn and dealt the killing blow. There was no fudging. We couldn’t have scripted a better ending to that campaign. (And everyone got raised/restored afterward because death is basically just a status effect at high levels.)

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM

Thanks.
Read my AL write ups of the books and season.
Most of my sessions are 4 hours. Real time complete I think we met weekly but I was sometimes mixing in the Season x modules. Or Book on Friday, Season x on Sunday. So just call it weekly.
DMed Completed
Rise of Tiamat, 4 sessions and I did rush through it.
Yawning Portal, - Sunless 2 sessions, Forge 3, fire giants 5, Shine 3, frost giant 2, hill giant 4, tomb 2, white plume 2, Dead in thay 8
Tomb of Annihilation, 16 sessions
Mad Mage, 27 sessions and they got t-shirts
Ghost of Saltmarsh 10 sessions
Waterdeep Heist twice, about 4 session each
Descent into Avernus, 12 sessions
DMING current Icewind dale. 19 sessions
DM Failed
Descent into Avernus they are moving the time to 8 PM start which having me get home pass my bed time. Hey I am old fart. Now weed my garden. And I give a nice new d20.

Remove ads