• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ADOM resurrection and tabletop RPG

fuindordm

Adventurer
This thread is for everyone who has fond memories of the roguelike game ADOM ("Ancient Domains of Mystery"). For those of you who have never heard of it, suffice to say it's one of the most RPG-like roguelikes in existence.

The game's creator, Thomas Biskup, is crowdsourcing a new version of the game on IndieGoGo. Furthermore, he will publish a tabletop RPG based on ADOM and its fantasy setting as part of the project.

The campaign is here:
Resurrect ADOM development -- Indiegogo

He's not far from reaching his goal, so if you enjoyed ADOM in the past (or still play it!) then now is a good time to thank him by sending a few bucks.

The new version will fix all known bugs in the game, and add lots of new items, monsters, and other features. They are also planning to add tile support to the game.

Ben

fuindordm

Adventurer
Hi everyone,

I'm permitting myself one thread bump (and only one) to pass on the good news:

The ADOM project was successfully funded yesterday.

The next stretch goal is for the game to ship with a tileset so that it looks just as pretty as ToME or Crawl. This level is only about $4000 away, and there are eight days left to meet it.

There are a host of stretch goals beyond that, including new quests. Check out the website for details.

Furthermore, since the project is funded, anyone who contributes at the $40 level will indeed receive a print copy of the ADOM tabletop RPG.

Any lovers of the game have something great to look forward to! The author has already committed to a fair amount of new content to the game. Quoted from the campaign site:

• New stable releases for all supported platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Amiga, NetBSD, FreeBSD; Android and iPad/iOS are going to be stretch goals). Operating systems have evolved since 2002 and compatibility is becoming a serious issue.
  • Bug fixes for every bug we can find
  • Game balance patches
  • At least 12 new corruptions will be added to the corruption system.
  • 13 new items will be added (but see below for that extra level).
  • 4 new monsters will be added (but see below for that extra level).
  • As a result of "getting over with funding on August 22nd" an extra special new boss monster with a special new map, 2 new artifacts, 4 new minion monsters for said boss and 16 new items that only will be recoverable on said special level are going to be added to the game.
  • More elaborate interaction for many things that are currently only handled superficially
  • UI improvements to bring ADOM up-to-date with the progress the roguelike genre has made, to be decided upon based on recommendations of players in the forums (e.g. colored message, some kind of auto-exploration and others)
  • A series of magical statues distributed across the dungeons
  • A roster of new named random boss monsters with special powers
  • Exciting new graphics for the title screen and some quest-related events
  • Audio for sound effects and music for the game areas and important events
  • A freshly revised manual

Thanks for listening!

Ben

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Thanks! It's great to hear about the graphical updates, but for those of us that like rogue-likes the gameplay will mean a lot more to us than the graphical capabilities. That being said, old ADOM is on my top 5 list of roguelikes along with the older versions of Zangband, older versions of T.O.M.E., Nethack and Dwarf Fortress. I actually enjoy ADOM more than I ever did Diablo 1 or 2 (which are also roguelikes IMHO), so again I am encouraged that you are looking at gameplay elements and that graphics and sound each take up only one separate bullet of your talking points.

Last edited:

fuindordm

Adventurer
I actually agree with you. I greatly enjoy the ASCII experience and could have done without the tile support. But a lot of people were clamoring for it, so the author made that the first stretch goal.

Ben

Shemeska

Adventurer
My GPA in highschool suffered so incredibly much because of ADOM. Addictive doesn't begin to describe it. It's still addictive. :)

Advilaar

Explorer
I would be one of those ones wanting graphical tile support. Hey, NetHack got it. It does not have to be Diablo, but a green orc figure means a lot more than a letter.

The creator would not have to do it. His community would draw the tiles for him.

Animal

First Post
a green orc figure means a lot more than a letter.
I so disagree!
In no other game are monster sprites as scary as those letters! I never ran from anything as fast as i ran from light brown R's or purple @'s. And don't get me started on dark blue D's, grey X's, all kinds of &'s.. Sheesh, i can't believe i still remember all this stuff after so many years.
Gonna back this up even though it's already funded. If only in fond memory of many hours i've spent in Draklor mountains. :eek:

S'mon

Legend
I thought this would be about adding a Raise Dead ability to ADOM - now that would be worth paying for!! :D Also henchmen, those dungeons are too dangerous for me to go in alone!

fuindordm

Adventurer
I would be one of those ones wanting graphical tile support. Hey, NetHack got it. It does not have to be Diablo, but a green orc figure means a lot more than a letter.

The creator would not have to do it. His community would draw the tiles for him.

The campaign is at $53K and change, and the artist on the team is crafting a custom tileset at $55K so there's a good chance you'll get your wish!

I'm crossing my fingers for the $60K stretch goal, where the game gets two new races (mist elves and ratlings) and two new classes (duelist and chaos knight)!

Remove ads