• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Absence of Low Level Summoning Spells

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I’ve been looking at the Conjuration subclass, and it seems odd to me that Wizards can’t learn any creature summoning spells (with the exception of Find Familiar) until they gain access to 4th level spells. I understand that there are other types of conjuration spells, and that conjurers are free to use spells from other schools of magic, but an elemental summoning wizard seems to be one of the main archetypes this subclass is intended to support, and it therefore seems strange to be unable to begin moving in this direction until 7th level.

Furthermore, looking at the specific spells in question, it’s difficult to see any balance reason for this limitation. The instant a conjurer does reach level 7 and learn Conjure Minor Elementals, he can summon elementals up to CR2 or up to 8 lower CR elementals, so seems like there could easily be a level 2 or 3 version of this spell summoning a smaller number/CR of elementals. For that matter, a druid can already summon beasts of exactly the same CRs with a level 3 spell (and can do so with a single action instead of taking a full minute). Given that the CR should account for any additional strength or abilities, I’m not sure I see any reason for Conjure Minor Elementals to require a higher level spell (especially given that the full Conjure Elementals spell, going up to CR5 creatures, is only a level 5 spell).

My question, essentially, is this: Is the absence of low level summoning spells on the wizard list a deliberate design choice (and if so what was the reasoning behind it?), or was it simply an oversight by the developers (and if so what house rules or homebrew would you consider to fill this gap)?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
My question, essentially, is this: Is the absence of low level summoning spells on the wizard list a deliberate design choice
Yes, it is deliberately a step away from the direction taken in 3.X to have a creature summoning spell at every spell level.
and if so what was the reasoning behind it?
That is much less clear. It could be as simple as deciding to aim for a more TSR-era style for spells (which would be an aim that hit its target), or it could be something more complex like concern over the balance-straining issue presented by introducing more creatures with their own actions in a combat scenario (the reason why summoning in 4th edition worked the way that it did).
), or was it simply an oversight by the developers (and if so what house rules or homebrew would you consider to fill this gap)?[/QUOTE]

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Yes, it is deliberately a step away from the direction taken in 3.X to have a creature summoning spell at every spell level.

I 'd agree that having a summoning spell for every level would be excessive, but having nothing below a 4th level spell and then a significant upgrade at 5th level doesn't seem like an effective solution.

As for the reasoning, I could see balance concerns (whether justified or not) about creatures with additional actions as the rationale for avoiding 1st or 2nd level summoning spells (this would be consistent with beastmaster companions not getting their own actions). It seems harder to justify a concern about level 3 spells though, since at that point druids have access to summoning, beastmasters can attack and command, and just about everyone else is getting either extra attacks or substantially more effective spells.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
It seems harder to justify a concern about level 3 spells though, since at that point druids have access to summoning, beastmasters can attack and command, and just about everyone else is getting either extra attacks or substantially more effective spells.
That, I feel, comes down to being a consequence of the deliberate attempt to make each spell list have its own unique flavor - druids and rangers being able to conjure animals fits their flavor strongly, but is only a weak fit in flavor for wizards, so wizards don't get that spell on their list, increasing the uniqueness of all involved spell lists as a result.

gweinel

Explorer
I totally miss the summoning classes and spells. These kind of characters were the first to explore. It is pity that they have excluded this playstyle.

I think as other have already mentioned that this was an attempt to not overpower the (summoning) classes, since WotC considers the extra critter you summon unbalance the game, at least at low levels. It is the same reason why the animal companion is missing as i viable choice.

However, after two years, i think they know how to implement low level summoning spells and or how to create a summoning subclass. Unearhed arcana has featured some summoning spells and when I asked Mike Mearls in twitter he told me that the designing is of a summoning (sub)class
is pretty tricky - I'd probably design a set of new spells that make summoning more specific in intent and use

(https://twitter.com/yusakuasano/status/701905393581219844)

I really hope to see in the feature not only the implementation of a summoning subclass for wizard/druid/warlock but also the implementation of a viable companion also for the ranger and druid.

The only unteasonable thing for me is the 1 min casting time for wizards but 1 action casting time for druids.
That is more than inconsistent.
I also miss the 1 round casting time summon spells. Would work perfectly for summoning spells and concentration.

CapnZapp

Legend
I like how there aren't any low-level summoning spells. Keeps summons off the table while everyone is still learning the ropes.

Also, since it takes a long time before you get lots of level four spell slots, there won't be any casual routine minions spamming.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The only unteasonable thing for me is the 1 min casting time for wizards but 1 action casting time for druids.
That is more than inconsistent.

I disagree. Druids are just calling forth (or, if you narrate as I do in that creatures from the immediate area are "called", a la Aquaman moreso than the out-of-thin-air "poof" of Pokeman) animals, or perhaps fey creatures, that are already on the material plane. You're just bringing them from one place to another.

Wizards, on the other hand, are conjuring elementals or other extraplanar beings, proba bly wth the use of complex diagrams and protective/controlling glyphs, etc... from across the ether, trans-dimensionally. 1 minute casting time, to be perfectly honest, seems incredibly short. It just sounds like a long time because of the timing framework of combat.

But regardless, it is not "unfair." It makes complete narrative [and common] sense, in game. The mechanics inform/provide framework for the [potential] narrative.

Imho, conjuration [of actual living organisms/creatures] should NEVER be a simple thing and certainly has no place as a reliable "use all of the time at the drop of a hat" combat/magical tactic. I am more than thankful the easy summoning spells are gone and summoning classes remain in...other systems...where that sort of play was created/is supported.

gweinel

Explorer
The summonings and the animal companions are useful also for another reason. They make 1 to 3 characters party more easy to play. It happens to play many games with my gf (1 dm and 1 pc) and during 3rd edition the druid class was the obvious choice.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
One of my DMs invested a 1st level summoning spell on the Wiz/Sorc list.

It's a one action casting time that summons a CR 1/4 creature (determined by the DM; player has no input). Lasts for Concentration up to 1 hour. Cast as a 2nd level slot for CR 1/2, 3rd level slot for CR 1, 4th level slot for CR 2, and so on. (Caps out at CR 6 for an 8th level slot.)

DM selection keeps you from gaming the system by summoning the perfect creature for the situation.

Remove ads