• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A word of caution to the " put it all in a module" arguments

Warbringer

Explorer
There is a large voice for putting anything that challenges " simplicity" to be placed in a module. While there is nothing wrong for the sentiment, there either needs to be

A) caution
B) realization that modules by default will increase the power level of the game

If A, then the game needs to be designed so modularity does not increase power for the module " editions ", which actually means building the most complex version of the game and simplifying down.

if B, then there has to be a basic formula for how monsters scale across the "editions" and build from there, which again requires the game to have its complex rules understood before simplicity is applied.

It's not a matter of simply deferring complexity for modules, IMHO

Abstruse

Legend
Complexity doesn't necessarily equate to increased power. For the most part, anything a PC can do an NPC/monster can do as well. And if it's something that has a random factor like critical hits, it's probably going to happen to the PCs more often than the other way around.

F700

First Post
Hopefully modules don't operate like splat books - adding an ever increasing array of choices.

To maintain balance, what a module giveth, a module taketh away.

So if a module adds metamagic feats, it eliminates another spellcasting option - say, preparing spells in higher level slots.

Or if martial manuevers are given, fighter surges are eliminated.

Otherwise so much content will pile up that power creep will be inevitable.

Ahnehnois

First Post
This modularity thing will be a mess, it makes everything more complicated, it is the oposite that I like in a RPG....
Are you saying that you play whatever game you currently play without substantial houserules or other optional "modular" elements?

I certainly hope that the "modular" aspects of this game look more like Unearthed Arcana and less like Basic/Advanced.

Bagpuss

Legend
Are you saying that you play whatever game you currently play without substantial houserules or other optional "modular" elements?.

Our 4th Ed game has no house rules, our 3rd Ed game had about two pages, and my 2nd game use to have a small folder full.

However as a DM I felt more "ownership" of my 2nd ed game, I'm not sure if that is enough to make up for the hassle though.

I don't see the modularity thing as being a problem, really... It could be if the designers don't put some parameters around it, but I suspect they have already thought about that.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
The point of a modular system is that the core needs to be simple, otherwise it's very difficult to design and use modules.

But the modularity of D&D Next is supposed to allow the "turning of dials" in order to get the game each and every gamer and DM want. That means variability in complexity, realism, and yes; Power. It can be played as more of a 0-level or OD&D type game by dropping Themes and Backgrounds, and not giving the big HP bump at 1st. It will be able to much more powerful by changing the way HP are given out as players progress, playing with bonuses through modules, etc.

How can a game that can be exactly what most people want be a bad thing?

If one doesn't want "Power" increases, simply don't use the modules.

Problem solved.

B-)

Incenjucar

Legend
The point of a modular system is that the core needs to be simple, otherwise it's very difficult to design and use modules.

But the modularity of D&D Next is supposed to allow the "turning of dials" in order to get the game each and every gamer and DM want. That means variability in complexity, realism, and yes; Power. It can be played as more of a 0-level or OD&D type game by dropping Themes and Backgrounds, and not giving the big HP bump at 1st. It will be able to much more powerful by changing the way HP are given out as players progress, playing with bonuses through modules, etc.

How can a game that can be exactly what most people want be a bad thing?

If one doesn't want "Power" increases, simply don't use the modules.

Problem solved.

B-)

Modules have the potential to decrease the ability to actually use other materials for the game. The main example is adventures, which will be tremendously difficult to balance in a complex module system. Monsters will also be a possible problem, as they may have a dramatically different danger level between different modules.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I think there is a problem with terminology. Module makes it sound like it is something you have to buy after the fact to add to your system.

From what WotC has been saying, it seems that they really mean that there will be a simple way to play the game with a ton of available options for groups to pick and choose to use if they wish. This implies that many of the options will be available with the basic rules. It is up to us whether or not we decide to use them.

That makes sense to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads