• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) A strange OD&D Hypothesis

Chaosmancer

Legend
So, in the flurry of videos, redditt posts, interviews and discussions about OD&D, someone asked a question that I thought was very interesting. Because my first thought was "no, they wouldn't" but then... maybe?

They were looking at the Dragonborn Breath Weapon's damage, 1d10 + level. Notably, this scales almost identically to the multi-dice scaling they had

1d10+5 = 2d10
1d10+11 = 3d10
1d10+17 = 4d10

And they asked "Is this how One D&D will handle cantrips?" And the more I think about it, the scaling of 2dX at 5th, 3dX at 11th, 4dX at 17th isn't difficult... but I've still seen people forget it, and the +level is consistent throughout, which also saves page space when printing cantrips.

So... what if they did this? Would it work? The obvious exception seems to be Eldritch Blast, since it scales through multiple attacks, but that is the only thing I can think of.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, in the flurry of videos, redditt posts, interviews and discussions about OD&D, someone asked a question that I thought was very interesting. Because my first thought was "no, they wouldn't" but then... maybe?

They were looking at the Dragonborn Breath Weapon's damage, 1d10 + level. Notably, this scales almost identically to the multi-dice scaling they had

1d10+5 = 2d10
1d10+11 = 3d10
1d10+17 = 4d10

And they asked "Is this how One D&D will handle cantrips?" And the more I think about it, the scaling of 2dX at 5th, 3dX at 11th, 4dX at 17th isn't difficult... but I've still seen people forget it, and the +level is consistent throughout, which also saves page space when printing cantrips.

So... what if they did this? Would it work? The obvious exception seems to be Eldritch Blast, since it scales through multiple attacks, but that is the only thing I can think of.
I think we will see soon. It's bot impossible...though the goal may have been to give the Dragonborn an ability better than a Cantrip, and a guaranteed floor for Damage is nice.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The more I think on it, I do not believe thisnis plausible. If it was a Cantrip damage, Dragonborn would not be limited to their use by Prof per Day. Additionally, the other Races which give damaging Cantrips would have mentioned it. So this is clearly meant to be better than a Cantrip.

Hussar

Legend
I keep reading thread titles like this as if they are referencing Old D&D, and get very confused for a moment.
Glad I'm not the only one.

The only cantrip that might be an issue would be the warlock's eldritch blast since you are actually getting separate attacks instead of just more damage. But, fair enough, you could just leave that one be different.

It would certainly save a pile of space in the PHB where you didn't have to keep reprinting the level changes for every cantrip. You could just plonk it down once and be done with it.

The only cantrip that might be an issue would be the warlock's eldritch blast since you are actually getting separate attacks instead of just more damage. But, fair enough, you could just leave that one be different.
i am hoping that Eldritch blast would get a rider where it can crit...like a weapon

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads