• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer A Spelljammer Retrospective (and Why It Makes Sense for 5E)

Mercurius

Legend
When Spelljammer came out way back in 1989, it was early high school for me and my interest in D&D had been growing since some of my brother's friends gave me their AD&D books in the early 80s, as they moved onto video games (their loss, my gain). At that point I was an established setting junkie: I owned the old Greyhawk box set (the 1983 version) as well as the Forgotten Realms gray box (1987); I was also discovering settings beyond D&D, such as Talislanta, Tekumel, Harn, Shadow World, Jorune and Glorantha. But there had never quite been a setting like Spelljammer: a truly unique hybrid of fantasy, space adventure, cosmic mystery and, of course, pirates.

I incorporated Spelljammer into the group of my high school years; we enjoyed exploring the crystal spheres on the sea of phlogiston and had a blast with space battles.

Spelljammer also inaugurated the "Golden Age" of D&D campaign settings (although perhaps the 1987 FR gray box truly started it, but SJ was the first exploratory offering). You had Spelljammer in 1989, Dark Sun in 1991, Al-Qadim and Thunder Rift in 1992, Birthright, Council of Wyrms and Planescape in 1994; and then a bit later in 1997, Jakandor, with perhaps one or two others in-between. You also had a deluge of Forgotten Realms products, major releases for Greyhawk, and ongoing support for Mystara.

Campaign settings are often viewed on a spectrum, from "vanilla fantasy" to more exotic and unique offerings. Spelljammer is one of the most exotic settings TSR or WotC has ever produced - arguably the most unique and exotic. Now the problem with exotic settings is that they tend to have shorter shelf lives, because play is more tightly thematic. Even those who don't like the Forgotten Realms probably understand why it has stood the test of time, remaining popular and well-travelled since 1987; that's 31 years as the primary D&D setting. All other settings have risen and fallen, or at least oscillated in popularity, but the Realms abide - both because it is relatively vanilla, but also because it is kitchen sink.

Unlike some of the other 2nd edition settings, Spelljammer died off relatively quickly. According to Echohawk's list, the original box set was published in September of 1989 and the last game product, the box set The Astromundi Cluster, was published in July of 1993. There were later articles and mentions in various products, but as a "living setting" Spelljammer has been in hibernation for 25 years. 1993 was the year Bill Clinton became president and of the Waco cult siege; it was the year Jurassic Park and Schindler's List came out; the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series for the second year in a row; and UB40 couldn't help falling in love with you.

Unlike its more popular cousins, Dark Sun and Planescape, Spelljammer didn't really have a cult following, as far as I know, or at least a very small one. It was enjoyed for a few years, and then let go of as a relic of its time - more The Black Hole than Star Wars. And Dark Sun, of course, was revived in 4th edition. But it has always been loved, remembered almost wistfully, at least by gamers of older generations.

For some reason Ethiopian food comes to mind. I love Ethiopian food. After Indian, Thai and Italian, it is probably my favorite ethnic cuisine. But whereas I might have Indian and Thai once a month or so, and Italian even more frequently (by virtue of pizza), I probably have Ethiopian food once or twice a year. But when I do, I really enjoy it. I would even say that I like it as much as my other favorites, but for some reason it is just in a different category - perhaps because there are fewer Ethiopian restaurants around, but also because something has to be special and rare.

Maybe Spelljammer is kind of like Ethiopian food: it is as good as anything else, but a special occasion flavor.

Anyhow, Spelljammer makes perfect sense for "Mearls D&D." It is the type of setting that can be visited in a story arc, with guidelines (perhaps in the form of a PDF) for further adventures, and then moved on from. It is the perfect fit for the 5E model and for the DM's Guild. I think also the fact that it has largely been left untouched for two and a half decades works for both old-time grognards and the newer generation of players. For the newbies, it is truly exotic and new; for the 'nards, it is blast from the past, a welcome revival of a bygone, Golden Age.

And now I'm craving Ethiopian food...

Sadras

Legend
Nicely written. Like yourself I'm actually very much looking forward to visiting Spelljammer in an off-shoot AP/module and shamefully, despite living on the African continent, I have not had Ethiopian food, but my wife has had.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Nice write up, thanks for a tour through my coming of age. But I was more in your brother's group unfortunately and missed Spelljammer. I stopped playing D&D in '89, never more than looked at 2e at a bookstore, and only knew Greyhawk and the worlds my friends and I built ourselves.

But I think I would have fun in Spelljammer game. And I think it is coming. The GIFF appeared in MTF and a crashed spelljammer and crew feature in Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage. If the Eberron PDF is well received, perhaps they will follow the same model with Spelljammer and Planescape.

delericho

Legend
Spelljammer is also a really good fit for DM's Guild. It's something that WotC will only ever be able to address very very briefly, but which would also benefit from a lot of support - support that the Guild can provide.

gyor

Legend
I wouldn't call FR vanilla or kitchen sink. I prefer calling it a diverse Archeology world like Golorian and Dominaria. The depth of lore makes it stand out as a setting.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I was aware of Spelljammer ss an active D&D player and Dragon Magazine reader, but I never played in the setting. In those days I was a High Fantasy fan, focusing on Dragonlance and Mystara. Maybe it was because I played super hero games and post apocalyptic games too that I kind of preferred my fantasy more "vanilla" -- I got my "gonzo" elsewhere.

I would totally love to revisit Spelljammer now, although I tend to feel maybe an amalgam of Spelljammer and Planescape would make more sense in the current 5e multiverse.

SirGrotius

Explorer
I'm with Reynard, in that I never got into SJ, as it seemed to be the antithesis of the high fantasy of DL, which was all the rage then. I remember buying about a million D&D cards from each of the settings, and SJ ones were relegated to the side, since they did not seem to fit the espirit of the other worlds.

That said, I could see some fun modernity with it while harkening back to the past. Almost as if it were the Stranger Things of the D&D multiverse.

Zardnaar

Legend
Maybe I should offer an ENworld online SJ 1 off game. Have not played in years but have been brainstorming a few thing and enough monsters are in 5E to make something viable.

1989, I remember when those settings started coming out. It felt so exciting, each one an interesting new world. I certainly didn’t realize how it was splintering and compartmentalizing their market.

I think Spelljammer makes perfect sense as connective tissue between settings. Planescape is the other option, and while I’d dearly love to see a 5e Manual of the Planes, I think Spelljammer fits the transportation role better in the current environment. A Spelljammer AL season would make me quite happy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads