• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

a quick question

dcollins

Explorer
Actually, I think the official answer is "None -- PCs don't have CR ratings." CR measures how hard it is for PCs to fight a given creature. Additionally, since the expected equipment is different for PCs vs NPCs, they don't fit into the CR scale the same way. (I've seen Sean K. Reynolds say that at least once.)

If it were an NPC (working from 3.0 here) I believe the official answer would be CR 1 for both level 1 and 2. Eyeballing it manually, I'd be more inclined to round up in the second case and thus assign level 1 = CR 1, level 2 = CR 2.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
PCs don't really get CRs -- they're hard to determine. Tieflings have ECL = class levels + 1 (with PC equipment and stats) and CR = class levels (with NPC equipment and stats).

A tiefling Ari2 with PC equipment and stats is weaker than a typical 3rd-level PC, but stronger than a typical 2nd-level PC, in my opinion -- tieflings have various useful benefits (good stat adjustments, etc.), but they can't compete with characters a level higher when they have only NPC class levels.

AeroDm

First Post
Aristocrats have a CR one less than their actual level (to a minimum of 1). Tiefling adds 1 to this CR. Maybe there is some flaw in there, but that should work for whatever your needs are.

which brings up an interesting question- why do you need to know because, as has been said, PCs don't have CR. If you are trying to determine an appropriate challenge for the PC this is a bad way to go about it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads