• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A new core class: the Acolyte

RickVigorous

First Post
This is a core class I came up with for my homebrew campaign world. The gods of my world are dying, and they no longer empower clerics. However, the acolyte is their replacement. They channel the energy of the dying god in a much more limited way. My current hunch is that the class is a bit weak and also possibly unbalanced (in a way I'll discuss after describing the class). Here is the class. I'm sorry in advance for the hard-to-read aspects of the table, because I'm HTML- and vB Code- illiterate and don't know how to do them right.

Level BaseAttack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Domain powers and 1st level spells
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Faith healing (cure light wounds)
3 +2 +1 +1 +3 2nd level domain spells
4 +3 +1 +1 +4
5 +3 +1 +1 +4 3rd level domain spells
6 +4 +2 +2 +5 Faith healing (cure moderate wounds)
7 +5 +2 +2 +5 4th level domain spells
8 +6/+1 +2 +2 +6
9 +6/+1 +3 +3 +6 5th level domain spells
10 +7/+2 +3 +3 +7 Faith healing (cure serious wounds)
11 +8/+3 +3 +3 +7 6th level domain spells
12 +9/+4 +4 +4 +8
13 +9/+4 +4 +4 +8 7th level domain spells
14 +10/+5 +4 +4 +9 Faith healing (cure critical wounds)
15 +11/+6/+1 +5 +5 +9 8th level domain spells
16 +12/+7/+2 +5 +5 +10
17 +12/+7/+2 +5 +5 +10 9th level domain spells
18 +13/+8/+3 +6 +6 +11 Faith healing (heal)
19 +14/+9/+4 +6 +6 +11
20 +15/+10/+5 +6 +6 +12 Faith healing (raise dead)

The acolyte serves the dying gods of Thyrion. Some seek to restore their divine masters to their former glory; others simply channel the powers of the gods to their own ends. The gods do not seem to notice the difference.
Adventures: Acolytes are sometimes sent out to adventure by the direct order of their sect. Usually, however, acolytes operate more-or-less on their own. Those that seek to restore their god usually act to support their principles and to bring glory to their god.
Characteristics: Acolytes can cast limited amounts of domain magic. More importantly, they may channel divine energy to heal those of the same or an allied faith. This same ability allows them to inflict damage on those of enemy faiths. They are also trained combatants, although they should not rely on their combat skills.
Alignment: Acolytes can be of any alignment, but they must be within one “step” of the alignment of the dying god they serve.
Religion: Some acolytes are not truly devoted to their god, and use their powers only for some personal motivation. Most, however, are members of one of the many sects dedicated to each dying god across Thyrion.
Background: Self-serving acolytes may come from any background, although many are found among the weak and downtrodden members of society. Acolytes that are part of a sect were often raised within the sect or in a community where the sect is powerful.
Other Classes: Members of other classes who share the same faith with the acolyte are usually friendly; not only can they benefit from the acolyte’s healing abilities, they also may share some common goals. Many acolytes dislike druids, as druids have taken over the day-to-day roles that acolytes filled when their gods were still active. Acolytes that hold to a strong moral code may object to the company of others; for example, a follower of the Bronze God would not look kindly on a pacifist ally.

Game Rule Information
Acolytes have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Charisma determines how powerful a spell the acolyte can cast and how hard those spells are to resist. The cast a spell, the acolyte must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell’s level. The DC of a saving throw against an acolyte’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the acolyte’s Charisma modifier. A high Constitution is also desirable, as it increases his hit points.
Alignment: Varies by deity. An acolyte’s alignment must be within one step of his deity.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The acolyte’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int). Certain domains can change this list, as described in the PHB, pg. 31.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the acolyte.
Armor and Weapon Proficiency: Acolytes are proficient will all simple weapons, all types of armor, and shields. Note that armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble. Also, Swim checks suffer a -1 penalty for every 5 pounds of armor and equipment carried.
Domain Powers and Spells: At first level, the acolyte gains access to three domains. This grants him access to the appropriate domain powers. Further, the acolyte may cast each domain spell he knows once per day. Access to new domain spells is shown on the table above. Acolytes do not need to spend any time preparing their domain spells each day. Acolytes gain no bonus spells based on a high ability score.
Faith Healing (Sp): The acolyte may cast special healing magic that only affects those of the same or an allied faith. At 2nd level, the acolyte can cast cure light wounds. New spells are learned as shown on the table above. Each spell may be cast three times per day plus the acolyte’s Charisma modifier. The acolyte may also cast the reverse of these spells on a member of an enemy faith. This expends one of the acolyte’s normal uses of this ability.
Extra Healing: The acolyte may take the Extra Healing feat. This feat allows the acolyte to use his faith healing ability four more times each day. This feat may be taken multiple times.
Extra Spells: As a feat, the acolyte may take Extra Spells. This allows the acolyte to cast a single extra domain spell of any level he knows per day. This feat may be taken multiple times, but no more than twice.

Here is what I see as potential problems for balance and the campaign:
1. The characters (and everyone else) now have less access to healing magic.
2. Not all domains and domain powers are equal. Evil, for example, does not have a great domain power without full access to a spell list.
3. The class has three benefits over a cleric. It has more skill points and more access to domain spells and powers, plus it can use fiath healing. However, it loses turning and rebuking undead and a large amount of spell power. I'm leaning towards the penalties being too great.

One note: the acolyte chooses domains just like a cleric would. In theory, this class could be dropped into any world.

Well, any comments or suggestions?

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
The acolyte serves the dying gods of Thyrion. Some seek to restore their divine masters to their former glory; others simply channel the powers of the gods to their own ends. The gods do not seem to notice the difference.

This section seems to divorce the faith of the Acolyte from the powers granted. It feels like leeching off an unaware or undiscerning god. If the gods don't care about someone leeching off of them, then why does it matter what alignment the Acolyte is, or that the target of the Faith Healing be the same religion as the caster?

RickVigorous

First Post
This section seems to divorce the faith of the Acolyte from the powers granted. It feels like leeching off an unaware or undiscerning god. If the gods don't care about someone leeching off of them, then why does it matter what alignment the Acolyte is, or that the target of the Faith Healing be the same religion as the caster?

You have a point. I may remove the alignment restriction from the class. I'm not willing to change the faith healing ability b/c a. I don't want too much magical healing and b. I like the feel of the ability; it promotes discord in the campaign world and increases sectarian conflict. I want to keep these things, but I'll need to come up with a reason to limit the faith healing power in such a way.

Any ideas on game balance? Too powerful, not powerful enough?

BlackStar

First Post
I'd say its not powerful enough.. most clerics (or cleric types) aren't in positions to use a huge amount of skill points and the abilities aren't nearly as poweful as a cleric ussualy would be.

I'd either give them some free feats or perhaps give them turning maybe. Really depends on how you "sense" their powers are.

BlackStar

RickVigorous

First Post
I'd say its not powerful enough.. most clerics (or cleric types) aren't in positions to use a huge amount of skill points and the abilities aren't nearly as poweful as a cleric ussualy would be.

I'm inclined to agree. Do you think it would be balanced if I allowed the following ability at 6th level:

Leadership: The downtrodden masses of Thyrion hunger for something to believe in. The acolyte thus easily attracts followers. He gains the Leadership feat for free at 6th level.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Give em the leadership thing plus a couple of bonus feats. Even better, expand the domain abilities so they'll continue to improve, and replace Faith Healing with something more flexible but similar.

Remove ads