• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Lot of Things to Rememberize?

Scribble

First Post
Hrmm... so I reread the Monster article about the Dragon...

A lot of stuff going on seemed like it would cause the DM to have to remember a lot of stuff..

IE if wounded below 500hp you can use breath weapon as a free attack...

I can't tell you how many times, after a fight, I've muttered.. aww man I completely forgot it could do that, as it is...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Scribble said:
Hrmm... so I reread the Monster article about the Dragon...

A lot of stuff going on seemed like it would cause the DM to have to remember a lot of stuff..

IE if wounded below 500hp you can use breath weapon as a free attack...

I can't tell you how many times, after a fight, I've muttered.. aww man I completely forgot it could do that, as it is...

Yeah, tell me about it.

(Just writing about it here: http://merricb.livejournal.com/14550.html)

If what you saw in that combat is pretty much the limit of what the dragon can do - not really much of a problem. You can probably handle it. If it has lots of other stuff? Problem.

One reason I hate spellcasting dragons!

Cheers!

Yeah, I just went back and flipped through Bo9S ... and now I remember why I didn't care for it: too many additional types of mechanics to keep track of and remember.

Scribble

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Yeah, I just went back and flipped through Bo9S ... and now I remember why I didn't care for it: too many additional types of mechanics to keep track of and remember.

I hope that's not how they fix AOO...

As in if the opponent does this you can do this... and so on... Easier to understand when reading... but more cumbersome to remember.

I'm guessing that's not it... But...

Eagle Prince

First Post
I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't AoO rules be way easier to remember than a 101 abilities that let you do X when Y happens.

Also, I like spellcasting dragons. There is that template in MMV that takes away a dragon's spellcasting and gives them lots of special abilities, which I think some design article said was to make dragons more like dragons and less like like mages who double as a meatshield. It's an interesting template to use occationally, but I'd much rather have the standard dragon keep spellcasting (but it doesn't seem like they will by that preview).

Scribble

First Post
Eagle Prince said:
I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't AoO rules be way easier to remember than a 101 abilities that let you do X when Y happens.

Also, I like spellcasting dragons. There is that template in MMV that takes away a dragon's spellcasting and gives them lots of special abilities, which I think some design article said was to make dragons more like dragons and less like like mages who double as a meatshield. It's an interesting template to use occationally, but I'd much rather have the standard dragon keep spellcasting (but it doesn't seem like they will by that preview).

Thats a big fear I have going on right now... (maybe unfounded)

I've just seen multiple uses of if then sorts of statements... Which with what little we know so far, amkes it seem as if they are used quite a bit...

I ain't a kid no more with good memories n stuff. If Then actions will most likely result in my saying "aww man I forgot about..." multiple times a night.

Festivus

First Post
MerricB said:
Yeah, tell me about it.

(Just writing about it here: http://merricb.livejournal.com/14550.html)

If what you saw in that combat is pretty much the limit of what the dragon can do - not really much of a problem. You can probably handle it. If it has lots of other stuff? Problem.

One reason I hate spellcasting dragons!

Cheers!

Didn't they mention that this was an ancient dragon? If so wouldn't this represent the upper end of the complexity scale?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Olgar Shiverstone said:

I love Bo9S, but it's with a couple of caveats. It's great design, but it's too much for anyone save a player to keep track of. It gets a *lot* easier to handle if you print the manuevers out on cards.

My fear is that 4e will have too many manuevers (talents) at high levels; this is not so bad for PCs, but horrible for NPCs.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Festivus said:
Didn't they mention that this was an ancient dragon? If so wouldn't this represent the upper end of the complexity scale?

Probably, but that level also had demons and devils on it! The latter two are more of a problem. Dragons you come up against fairly rarely, but demons and devils tend to be a bit more ubiquitous.

I don't think your regular monster will be that difficult to run. I just want the difficult monsters to still be ok!

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads