• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General A Chart of D&D Campaign Worlds (v 3.0)

Mercurius

Legend
I don't know what methodology (if any) Wikipedia is using, but this is their take on D&D settings, up to 2020;

View attachment 156733
Yes, that was one of my resources - sort of "ground zero," if you will.

Two it lists that I didn't include are Dragon Fist and Mahasarpa. I didn't include them because they are online only, and it just didn't feel like they quite made the cut as even minor settings or "row worthy" (think Elaine from Seinfeld).

JEB

Legend
Chart is looking pretty good to me, now!

Two it lists that I didn't include are Dragon Fist and Mahasarpa. I didn't include them because they are online only, and it just didn't feel like they quite made the cut as even minor settings or "row worthy" (think Elaine from Seinfeld).
Yeah, I don't think I even agree with Wikipedia including Dragon Fist as a D&D setting; IIRC it was designed as a standalone game (albeit one based on D&D). And if you include Mahasarpa, an argument could be made for including settings that only popped up in, say, Dragon or Dungeon Magazine for one issue.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alright, another revision (3.0).

Changes:

• Added in rows for the Mystara sub-settings, as well as Masque of Red Death under Ravenloft.
  • Added thicker dividers for the "group settings" (FR, Mystara, Ravenloft
  • A separate section for licensed settings.
  • Removed Other Publishers, although mostly to make room as I can't fit them in my screenshot. I'll probably make a second list of "Notable Third Party Publishers" and add a bunch more (e.g. Iron Kingdoms), and maybe TSR/WotC non-D&D settings.
it's looking good now, makes it very clear.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, that was one of my resources - sort of "ground zero," if you will.

Yeah, those are too far. Pelinore may even be in that category, it's officialness and content are pretty thin.

Mercurius

Legend
Chart is looking pretty good to me, now!

Yeah, I don't think I even agree with Wikipedia including Dragon Fist as a D&D setting; IIRC it was designed as a standalone game (albeit one based on D&D). And if you include Mahasarpa, an argument could be made for including settings that only popped up in, say, Dragon or Dungeon Magazine for one issue.
Yeah, I think there's something to be said about not including online-only, unless it is something big. Call me a luddite, but...

That said, if they polished up the notes for Nentir Vale Gazetteer and published it as a PDF, I'd totally put that on the list (and buy it).
Yeah, those are too far. Pelinore may even be in that category, it's officialness and content are pretty thin.
Yeah, true - but i like to include it as an example of a weird little corner in D&D history. Plus, it was UK made and in Imagine, so it is a nice way to give the Brits a nod.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I think there's something to be said about not including online-only, unless it is something big. Call me a luddite, but...

That said, if they polished up the notes for Nentir Vale Gazetteer and published it as a PDF, I'd totally put that on the list (and buy it).

Yeah, true - but i like to include it as an example of a weird little corner in D&D history. Plus, it was UK made and in Imagine, so it is a nice way to give the Brits a nod.
Yeah, it probably worth noting.

As I understand it, the Nentir Vale Gazetteer didn't get enough work put into it to have anything to release.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Most likely the DMG, at the back.
I don't remember seeing it any of my copies and it's not it the PDF (I also have the one made by WotC before the premium reprint) and it's not there. I looked at the Acaeum (since the DMG had many printings back then), but it doesn't seem to be mentioned.

I don't remember seeing it any of my copies and it's not it the PDF (I also have the one made by WotC before the premium reprint) and it's not there. I looked at the Acaeum (since the DMG had many printings back then), but it doesn't seem to be mentioned.
I could be misremembering, or it could be a different print run. Where there any ads in the back of your copies? I remember thinking "What's this Waterdeep?" and it wasn't from Dragon (not easily available in the UK) and it was long before the FR setting was published.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I could be misremembering, or it could be a different print run. Where there any ads in the back of your copies? I remember thinking "What's this Waterdeep?" and it wasn't from Dragon (not easily available in the UK) and it was long before the FR setting was published.
I strongly suspect you are misremembering. The earliest mention of Waterdeep anywhere in a D&D source appears to be in Dragon #62 (June 1982) in Ed Greenwood's Pages from the Mages article.

Remove ads