• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] Metallic Dragons

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Maybe I should've specified.

Do you plan on using them in combat? Because if not, then you really don't need their stats anyhow.
Yes. The idea I'm toying with is making a gold dragon tyrant for my 4e DL game. It could be one of the major adversaries of the setting.

Shroomy

Adventurer
With only Chromatic Dragons in the upcoming Draconomicon, I'd expect a Draconomicon II for just Metallic Dragons. I wouldn't even be surprised by a Draconomicon III for Gem Dragons. Of course this is all purely speculation on my part.:eek:

It looks like the gem dragons were excised from 4e (at least for now). According to the Draconomicon excerpt on the WoTC website, there are five types of dragons: chromatic, metallic, catastrophe (elemental dragons), scourge (linnorms), and planar dragons.

Zephyrus

First Post
Dragon Origins

Their is a artcle up now about dragon origins and the (as much as I am disapointed by the idea) they dont have gem dragons.. the 5 families are Metalics, Chromatics, Planer, Scourge and Disaster Dragons. They said the Scourge Dragons were like the Linnorms of old ed. The Disaster dragons embraced the elemental chaos and focus on destruction and are disaster themed (cyclone, hurricane,...) Planer Dragons evolved based on being on a particular plane but most came from chromatic stock (but are now unique breeds and no longer resemble their progenetors).

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Yes. The idea I'm toying with is making a gold dragon tyrant for my 4e DL game. It could be one of the major adversaries of the setting.

Actually, Dragonlance demands that there be the classic five metallic dragons, anyway. And that means brass, copper, bronze, silver, and gold. I don't want adamantine and iron dragons in Krynn, dammit. :)

Cheers,
Cam

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just remember that even the RPG sides of the DDM cards were printed before all the rules for 4E were finalized. So, you will see discrepencies between the early 4E cards, and the MM. That said, I like that. Not all monsters need to be the same (though I believe there are some actual rules changes that are still on the first few sets of the RPG side of the cards also, not just "minor" things like breath weapons).

I don't know when the team feels the RPG side is fully "accurate" with the 4E rules.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Actually, Dragonlance demands that there be the classic five metallic dragons, anyway. And that means brass, copper, bronze, silver, and gold. I don't want adamantine and iron dragons in Krynn, dammit. :)

Cheers,
Cam
My version of DL is going to have all the various kinds of dragons (I've got to update my RPG.net DL thread, btw, I got the 3e Dragons of Autumn book and it rocks!). When the Draconomicon comes out, I'm going to have brown, purple, and gray dragons make an appearance. Brass and bronze dragons will probably come out in Draconomicon II, but in the meantime I most certainly will use iron and adamantine dragons. :) One reason I want to know the Roles of the metallic dragons is to map them over to the various castes of draconians.

Hopefully we'll get gemstone dragons some day, I like them. Of the dragon types in the preview article, the scourge and catastrophe dragons don't really appeal to me. Planar dragons seem interesting - I presume these are things like shadow dragons (Shadowfell) and faerie dragons (Feywild).

Of the dragon types in the preview article, the scourge and catastrophe dragons don't really appeal to me.

*blink*

Really? :confused:

I mean, obviously, to each their own. I'm not challenging your opinion, I'm just astonished by it. I can't wait to learn more about those two families of dragons; to me, they sound (at least potentially) far more interesting, mythic, and, well, dragon-y than the classic metallics and chromatics. (And this coming from someone who's a big fan of both the metallics and chromatics, and who wrote a huge chunk of Draconomicon I.)

(But then again, I'd be thrilled to death to never again see the gem dragons even mentioned, so we're obviously coming from different places. ;))

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I'm also excited for Scourge and Catastrophic Dragons.

I could so see a Scourge Dragon slowly parading through a town stricken by plague, followed by a band of zombies gathering plague-tormented corpses in carts to feed their master.

A Catastrophic Dragons well I think it be awesome to see a hurricane come barrelling down on the city the PCs are in. Then as it draws near, through the rain and wind you see the shadowy forms of a pact of Dragons swirling and sweeping through the sky.

It will be awesome when they come out! I am still really wanting to see a Dragon based around Fog/Mist, I would love too see a Dragon that lives in fog-clouds and does it devilish deeds in the mask of the fog.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
*blink*

Really? :confused:

I mean, obviously, to each their own. I'm not challenging your opinion, I'm just astonished by it. I can't wait to learn more about those two families of dragons; to me, they sound (at least potentially) far more interesting, mythic, and, well, dragon-y than the classic metallics and chromatics. (And this coming from someone who's a big fan of both the metallics and chromatics, and who wrote a huge chunk of Draconomicon I.)

Maybe once I read them I'll change my mind. :) I'm just not as excited to about them right now.

(But then again, I'd be thrilled to death to never again see the gem dragons even mentioned, so we're obviously coming from different places. ;))
I think I like gem dragons primarily because of nostalgia reasons. When I was first reading the 2e MM that had them, I remember thinking "Wow, there are neutral dragons?!?!" ;)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think the gem dragons could be cool IF they tied them strongly into the "psionic" thing like 3e almost did. Dragons who were smaller, less about the fear and intimidation, more about charm, manipulation, dreams, nightmares...the subtle hand of the subliminal world given fierce form.

Scourge and Catastrophic dragons just sound like they're going to give dragons mohawks and edgy piercings and a can of Mountain Dew and have them snowboard off the nearest peak while listening to the newest Kid Rock song. They could be cool DESPITE this, of course. :) And D&D could use some new takes on dragons anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads