• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Gnome Home Help

The Human Target

Adventurer
So I'm going to be running some 4E on Thursday, and I need some sage EN World wisdom.

Last session the PCs took a bounty hunting gig tracking down a human mage whop had killed his lover. They found out where he was hiding, but when they arrived he had been captured by what looked like a mixed band of medium and small humanoids. What they don't know is that a group of goblins has come under the influence of an imp, and that the goblins have taken the fugitive back to their new lair- a large gnome burrow.

My question is what would that 4E burrow be like? The MM only tells us that gnomes build their homes burrowed under the roots of trees. I'd like to make the burrow large enough for my medium sized adventurers (and a few hobgoblin minions) to get inside of easily. I'd also like it to be more interesting than a dirt cave. What kind of defenses would it have, especially illusions?

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

fba827

Adventurer
Play up the roots dangling from the cieling and weaving through the walls aspect of it.

I would say to have plenty of small animals, like badgers (say hello francis!) and such, though, given the goblin presence, I'd imagine that they scared away (if not killed) all the little critters that would normally be there.

They collect little trinkets (I think) so have random things (albeit useless or else the PCs will steal it all) - tiny cup sized pots, or that little "bird that dips down to drink water" gizmo, or those little metal balls on string that swing back and forth transfering the energy from one end ball to the other end and back and forth

(if you have no idea what i'm talking about, sorry, i don't know how else to describe them or what they're called -- but, basically, just think of random trinkets that we give/get as novelty gifts that don't necessarily have major practical value)

There would probably also be some sort of light source (since it is underground), and the light should be magical (since it's a gnome and also because the gnome wouldn't want to start a fire or use up oxygen in his little cave should the door be closed)

Maybe there is a chest of gnome-sized clothes.

Exterior

ex.JPG

Interior

tw.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
For starters, think of a really nasty kobold warren. Now take out the deadly traps, and replace them with ones that trap or disable intruders.

Create a primary corridor for medium-sized creatures to use, although it's going to be surrounded by guard posts, and such, essentially as a seperate dungeon inside the dungeon; where the gnomes themselves live will be small-sized, both for comfort and security.

Use lots of secret doors. Create lots of false chambers, like fake throne rooms, fake treasure rooms, even fake armories.

Large caverns with invisible walkways leading to secret doors on the far side have the advantage of seeming plausible in the setting while being a relatively simple trick for the gnomes to pull off. Things should be hidden with plausible illusions and the more dramatic magic should be used to distract intruders, like the waving scarf in a magician's hand that distracts the audience from the actual business being done by the other hand.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads