• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3e - Temordia, Races of

Drowbane

First Post
I guess this is the place to post this sort of thing. Sorry in advance if this gets too wordy... (I will try to edit in the next few days as needed)

I have been slowly working on a Homebrew setting since late 1997. The settings name has remained constant, though I'm not sure where/how I came up with it. Its pronounced like the spanish "Temor dia"... or "day of fear"? I don't know, my spanish isn't very good. :p

I'm not very good at creating anew. Early Temordia was basicly the Forgotten Realms with entire chunks missing and/or replaced by locations from other settings. I had elements of FR (major pieces from that CS), greyhawk (some of the pantheon, Iuz, module locations), etc. I've been reworking it trying to be more original... but its not easy.

Fairly recently (Winter of 07?) I took a look at the huge list of races (and classes) I had in my Homebrew... it was staggering. It kinda bugged me, I had the kitchen sink available, I wasn't sure what to cut and what to keep. I eventually decided to start fresh. For reasons of game mechanics, I decided on seven races.

I know I'm not really breaking any new ground here... but this is what I have thus far.

Human: +2 to any one ability score. Bonus feat and bonus skill points, as usual.
Temordia (which is a major continent) is very much devoted to humanity and its struggles. The other races are considered foreigners in the established sections of the game world... rare, but not entirely unknown. Humanity has a long and storied history of not being very tolerant of other races (or with regional differences in thier own, for that matter), the other six races should be viewed with this in mind. I haven't fully thought out how the other races regard each other...

Aesidhe (Ahh-shee): +2 dex, +2 cha, -2 con. Fey type.
Mechanically, I don't have much for this race. They can innately detect Crossroads and Ley Lines, have an alternate version of Druid that runs on Charisma. I'm trying hard for them not to be your typical D&D Elves.

Aesidhe Sprite: +2 dex, -2 str (on top of other Aesidhe bonuses). Spd reduced to 10ft, gain 30ft fly (good), nimble reach (5ft reach like a small creature)
The sprites somewhat violate the concept I had going with the racial stats... but I liked Monte's faen too much not to include them as part of my elves.

Dwarf: +2 con, +2 int, -2 dex
I love D&D Dwarves, so I don't expect to go too far afield with this one. Dwarves IMC are quite taken with wizardry, which falls in nicely with the master-crafter sterotype. Also, sterotypically, the dwarven race is in decline. Slow breeding mixed with some long standing feuds with other races. The primary human religion has taken a very dim view of the dwarves attempts to create artificial life (blasphemy!!) and as a in some locals it has become dangerous to even wear/use dwarven goods. The days of the mighty dwarven empire are long gone.

Dwarf-forged, the: +2 str, +2 con, -2 cha; gains Darkvision and Powerful Build.
One of the coolest concepts from Eberron, so much thanks to Hellcow for this one (assuming the Warforged weren't added after his design?). Built to bolster the dwarven forces, the dwarf-forged have only recently acheived sentience... and even the dwarves don't know how or why.

Hin (name clearly stolen from FR): +2 int, +2 wis, -2 str; innately psionic: +1psi point per level and have telepathy 20ft as long as they’re psionically focused.
A combo of FR's ghostwise halflings and Eberron's talenta halflings. Psionically adept dinosaur riding noble savages... in human lands they have a reputation as cannibals... and worse.

Kobold, noble: +2 dex, +2 cha, -2 wis; small size, bonuses involving traps, bonus feat: Nobility*.
Mundane kobolds (99% of NPC Kobolds are straight out of the MM).

Nothrog: +2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Int. spd 40ft, lowlight vision, Powerful Build.

Kudos to anyone recognizing this race's name! The Nothrog are a (L/N) warmongering race with this eyes intent on expansion. Caught somewhere between D&D's Hobgoblins and Warcraft's Orcs (without demonic influence).

~~~

I want my homebrew to be fairly humanocentric... but when if a campaign's focus should turn to one or more of the other races, humans have alot of potential to be the bad guys. On the other hand, there is nothing that really prevents the typical racially diverse party. But in many human lands the demi humans can expect some hostility.

~~~

*Nobility [regional] (PCs may only have 1 regional feat, and they all rock)
Prerequisites: Cha 17+
Benefit: Nobles gain followers of thier race based on their Leadership score without needing to take the Leadership feat. Additionally, Nobles gain a +4 racial bonus to their Leadership score which only applies to followers and cohorts of thier race. Nobles who have or gain Leadership multiple their number of followers by x1.5 (or 2.5 if they also have the Extra Followers feat). Nobles spend thier starting wealth as normal, except everything is masterwork (I know, sounds borken, right?).

~~~

note: I have no plans on trying to publish any of my homebrew at any point in the near future, so hopefully those I've borrowed ideas from won't glare too harshly in my direction :D.

~~~

Anyways, I was just in the mood to share.

Thoughts, suggestions, revelations? :p

Last edited:

Dagenn

First Post
Well in my opinion I think it's good that you can focus on a set of races where as DnD has been branching out, infinatly, to let players play what ever their imagination can grab hold of. Where your "Brew" looks to have a solid, yet balanced, set of races that you can see set up classes without you having to set them in stone. You can get that feeling from the descriptions which is great. :D

You really can't create a world anymore without borrowing from others :hmm: So I don't see the harm in at least giving credit yet trimming and adding areas of interest. It'll at least get players who like those games a lead into your world and ideas.

It's funny to me that humans will hate on the miniature version of themselves and yet an Orc walks into town and it's like, "Hey how far can you kick the little one, I'll give ya a few coppa if you can make it over the barrel eh?!"

As far as the Nobility Feat it can go many, many ways. Most new groups with take it to use the bonus' as an advantage to get used to everything and being a step ahead. Where as the GM you have more then a number of ways you can take those items away. But as good players develop they will shine away from the easy buffs for more character drivin ideas rather than bonuses. So in my mind nothing is too powerful if it can be taken away just as quickly by being unlawfully put in jail ;)

Dagenn Blackflame~>

Talath

Explorer
The key to a humanocentric game is not to make the people who chose to be human feel good, but to make the people who choose not to be human to feel bad.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads