• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Would a half-dragon treant still have plant traits?

Particle_Man

Explorer
On the one hand the character type changes to "dragon". On the other hand the half-dragon template says that a half-dragon has all the special qualities of the base creature, and a special quality of the treant is "plant traits", which include some nice immunities. So are those plant traits retained or lost?

the Jester

Legend
I think Savage Species addresses this in the "how to add a template" chapter, but I don't recall exactly what the rule is. (Haven't played 3.x in several years now.)

frankthedm

First Post
I say as a general thing, keep immunities on the creatures when you template them, otherwise the CR will need to be recalibrated and playtested. Templates are supposed to make the game less work, not more.

Edit: IMHO this is why creature types with major immunities get their Type Traits mentioned in Special Qualities, ensuring those are not lost when the creature is templated.

Last edited:

Jacob

Explorer
On the one hand the character type changes to "dragon". On the other hand the half-dragon template says that a half-dragon has all the special qualities of the base creature, and a special quality of the treant is "plant traits", which include some nice immunities. So are those plant traits retained or lost?
At first I thought, "that can't be right..."
Then I was like, "How about that!"
So I'm very curious as to how such a union of creature came about. I can get a Half Dragon Mind Flayer, but this makes me confuzzled.;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads