• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Listen Table PHB

doktorstick

First Post
A table in the PHB for Listen reads:
Code:
[color=white]Listen DC Modifier	Condition
+5                      Through a door
+15                     Through a stone wall
–1                      Per 10 feet of distance
–5                      Listener distracted[/color]
The -1/-5 rows don't make sense to me. Shouldn't the task be getting harder, not easier with those conditions. Am I missing something?

/ds

iwatt

First Post
doktorstick said:
A table in the PHB for Listen reads:
Code:
[color=white]Listen DC Modifier	Condition
+5                      Through a door
+15                     Through a stone wall
–1                      Per 10 feet of distance
–5                      Listener distracted[/color]
The -1/-5 rows don't make sense to me. Shouldn't the task be getting harder, not easier with those conditions. Am I missing something?

/ds

the +5/+15 refer to the DC. The -1/-5 refer to condition modifiers. As usual, WOTC has enabled to confuse quite a simple issue.

the +5/+15 DC modifiers should be converted to -5/-15 conditional modifiers, since generally Listen is opposed to move silently.

For example, trying to hear a Rogue sneaking 20' away through a door: you take a -7 check penalty to Listen.

To listen through a stone wall for people talking (DC 0) 50' away , you take a -20 tp your check. This is the same as saying you take a -5 penalty against a DC 15 (0 + 15) listen check.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads