• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.0] Paying XP for new sorcerer spells

Hashmalum

Explorer
(Note: I haven't gotten a look at 3.5E yet, so I have no idea how it will affect this.)

Recently, I got to thinking how odd it is that sorcerers can know as many epic spells as they're willing to spend gold, XP, and time to develop, yet they're still strictly limited in the number of lower level spells they can learn. It seemed reasonable to me that they should be able to pay XP to exceed those limits, so I sat down to figure what might be a reasonable amount. I decided to start with the epic spell creation rules, so I figured the Spellcraft DC that a spell of each level is equivalent to (treating each spell level as if it were a new seed and applying p.91 of the Epic Level Handbook). I ended up with the following equivalencies:

1 14
2 17
3 19
4 21
5 23
6 25
7 27
8 29
9 31

To develop an epic spell with these DCs would cost 9000 gp x the Spellcraft DC. However, epic magic is in general 10 times the price of non-epic magic, so the base gp cost should only be 900 gp x DC. Of course, I wanted an XP cost, not a gp cost; since a sorcerer's magic is part of him, I really couldn't see any material expenditure being necessary to develop it, only personal effort. With 1 XP being "worth" 5 gp, we end up with an XP cost of 180 XP x DC, leaving us with the following table:

0 1,260
1 2,520
2 3,060
3 3,420
4 3,780
5 4,140
6 4,500
7 4,860
8 5,220
9 5,580

(For pricing purposes, 0-level spells are generally treated as being half the cost of 1st level spells, so that's what I did here.)

You'll notice that the costs are pretty high; a 1st level sorcerer can't even afford a new 0-level spell. Most likely, this option will not be affordable until after the character has already learned all the spells of that level that PHB table 3-17 allows, thus extending their spell learning progression rather than accelerating it. This seems reasonable to me--but what do you think? Please provide feedback.

Mista Collins

First Post
I don't see a problem with this at all. The XP cost seems pricy, but when you look at what you are getting it makes sense. This might be something i add IMC.

Attachments

• trix.gif
    trix.gif
    57.9 KB · Views: 156

Kerrick

First Post
I like this system too - i'll have to talk to my DM about possibly testing it, since we already use "buyable" abilities for other things.

Hashmalum

Explorer
I forgot to post the development time. Epic spells have a development time of 1 day/50,000 gp of the spell. Divide by 10 (since epic magic is 10 times as expensive) and then divide by 5 (since the cost is in XP not gp) and that gives a development time of 1 day per 1000 XP (or fraction thereof) spent on the spell. So the chart is

0 2 days
1 3 days
2 4 days
3 4 days
4 4 days
5 5 days
6 5 days
7 5 days
8 6 days
9 6 days

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads