• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC 2024 D&D Core Rules Will Be Added To SRD In 2025

SRD 5.2 will be released under Creative Commons next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3469.webp

The 2024 version of the D&D core rules will be included in an expanded version of the System Reference Document, and available to third parties via Creative Commons (though there is no mention of thr Open Gaming License). The new SRD 5.2 will be available early 2025 after the new Monster Manual has been released.

The new SRD will be localized in the languages which WotC supports.

Regarding the long-awaited SRDs for previous editions, WotC says that they will start reviewing those documents once the 2024 rulebooks are out.

What I really like are two additional things:
  • they explicitely state that the SRD 5.2 will be irrevocable and unchangeable by WotC.
  • they won't touch the SRD 5.1, so everyone is free to use one or the other license.

I really can't see any way how someone spins this as negative... but probably I am underestimating some people who have an axe to grind... let's see ;)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Pardon my ignorance, but what are the main differences between releasing the new SRD under the OGL, and releasing it under Creative Commons? Why would they want/need to do both?
The point is we should want to have both. Creative Commons is nice, but the viral nature of the OGL and the ability to remix with previous Open Game Content is nice. Currently the only way to access existing Open Game Content is through the OGL. Both are open licenses, but aren't compatible with each other.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The point is we should want to have both. Creative Commons is nice, but the viral nature of the OGL and the ability to remix with previous Open Game Content is nice. Currently the only way to access existing Open Game Content is through the OGL. Both are open licenses, but aren't compatible with each other.
I guess that's the part that's confusing me. If both are open licenses, why would you need both? Isn't one always going to be enough? Is there ever a situation where one would be preferable to the other?

(I promise I'm not trolling. This has always been confusing to me.)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I just get a sense of impatience. The 2024 SRD is clearly priority.
Releasing the old SRDs has no value to WotC except as a good will gesture. Therefore, it is easy to imagine that they will never see the light of day -- not because of mustache twirling malevolence, but because it doesn't matter to WotC and every day matters to fewer and fewer of its customers. Unfortunately, it continues to matter to companies and individuals that built livelihoods on the old SRDs (I don't know how many of those there are, but the number is not zero).

I am skeptical that they will ever release them into commons, but for the reason that it holds no value for WotC and therefore someone is going to have to make it a priority without any tangible payoff.

Since everything will eventually go to creative commons, this seems to be just a temporary problem. Now we are good. And after SRD 5.2 gets out, most probably it won't take that long until older SRDs are released under CC.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I guess that's the part that's confusing me. If both are open licenses, why would you need both? Isn't one always going to be enough? Is there ever a situation where one would be preferable to the other?

(I promise I'm not trolling. This has always been confusing to me.)
It is easier under the OGL for people to also release their material as well, whereas there isn't really a mechanism as I understand it to release part of a document under CC.

If WotC believed in Open Gaming, they would have fixed the OGL by now. Failing that, they would release the 5E SRD under ORC. They won't.

The SRD under CC-BY-4.0 allows it to be used with the OGL, but not necessarily the other way around. So adding the 5.2 SRD to OGL is moot if it is CC-BY. OGL publishers will need to make sure you include both citations - proper OGL declaration with updated Section 15 and OGC declaration AND the CC-BY reference for the SRD.

It's not viral and if people want to only use WotC SRD content and nothing else, there are no requirements to open their work as well, which is something I'm not a fan of since there's value in the OGC Commons, but vast majority of 5e 3pp just use the SRD and completely ignore everyone else anyway. (It is ironic how many small 3pp were waving the "Open Gaming!" banner during the OGL Kerfuffle but don't open their own content. But anyway! ;) )

But if you want to publish under the OGL, you can still use the 5.2 SRD after it is released under CC-BY-4.0. So it's the right move by WotC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads