• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC 2024 D&D Core Rules Will Be Added To SRD In 2025

SRD 5.2 will be released under Creative Commons next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3469.webp

The 2024 version of the D&D core rules will be included in an expanded version of the System Reference Document, and available to third parties via Creative Commons (though there is no mention of thr Open Gaming License). The new SRD 5.2 will be available early 2025 after the new Monster Manual has been released.

The new SRD will be localized in the languages which WotC supports.

Regarding the long-awaited SRDs for previous editions, WotC says that they will start reviewing those documents once the 2024 rulebooks are out.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Why. Write something using the CC, and publish it using the OGL as well, and see what happens.

I'll tell you what will happen. Nothing. Nobody from WOTC will say a word.

As long as you put the CC note into your OGL work, it should be fine, right? (And anyone using it will have to note where the CC part came from).

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Amazing how fast this thread turned into OGL/SRD arguments "we've" already had.
You make a really good point. As of now, we don't know what will happen. And most of the time when that's the case, we all go to what has (in our opinion) already happened and assume it will keep going. But we don't know.

I'm someone who sometimes posts negative stuff here, but I see this as an opportunity to be better. And yeah, that means after the dust settles, it's likely that you can post the Simpson's "HA HA!" meme about this post. But I am hopeful things will get better.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
As long as you put the CC note into your OGL work, it should be fine, right? (And anyone using it will have to note where the CC part came from).
I don't think you can take OGL content and release it into the CC. But I am unsure why you couldn't take stuff released under the CC and put it into the OGL?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
My understanding is that those products are all OGL. And the OGL could (really does) have problems where you use the core content and then make all of your product closed. If that's the same, I think that will be against the CC licensing intent severely. Maybe nothing will change with a different license, and it will just make me want to use that bashing the head against the wall emoji.
The 5E SRD was released via CC-BY. There is no share alike requirement.

Technically, the OGL demanded share alike, but the Product Identity aspect of the OGL was phrased in such a way that lots of publishers just declared their mechanics PI. This was directly addressed in the language of Paizo's ORC license -- any mechanics at all in your release are Open Content under ORC, no exceptions -- but obviously that has no impact on 5E content unless WotC releases the 5E SRD under ORC (lol no).

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Why. Write something using the CC, and publish it using the OGL as well, and see what happens.

I'll tell you what will happen. Nothing. Nobody from WOTC will say a word.
More nonsense. You're not saying it is legal, you are just saying no one gives a damn.

You CANNOT write a 3.5 supplement using the SRD released under the OGL and release it under CC.

For 5E, you wouldn't bother: the 5E SRD is already released under CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads