• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1e MM2 or Fiend Folio

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I found a copy of both for almost the same price (1$ difference) and am planning to pick up one at least.

So which do you prefer?

Which monsters book do you use more often? (if you have both)

Do they have noticeably different flavours?

Any particular beasties stand out in either one?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I prefer the Fiend Folio, no contest. It has some poorly conceived monsters in it, but it also has far more unique monsters in it than MM2 (IMO, of course). The FF is the source of such iconic D&D monsters as the Son of Kyuss, the Githyanki, Githzerai, and the various Slaadi. There are some really awesome monsters in there.

the Jester

Legend
Fiend Folio FTW!

It's one of my favorite monster books to this day, despite having over-inked art. But there are a ton of awesome monsters in it, some of which have become classics and some of which haven't. It includes the slaadi, the githyanki and githzerai, flail snail, gibberlings, aaracockra, Drow, the Elemental Princes of Evil, the retriever, etc. etc.

The MM2 is good too, but it has a certain number of "meh" monsters in it (pseudo undead, pedipalps, valley elves, etc). The losers in the FF are just damn weird (protein polymorph? tirapheg? WTF??), but their weirdness makes 'em cooler.

Plus, the FF has oodles of great encounter charts in the back- the kind of encounter charts that d&d has never seen since. Damn fine, those charts.

And it has the most gruesome monster ever (the penanggallan (sp?)).

Go with the Fiend Folio.

Voadam

Legend
I like them both but I like Fiend Folio a little better.

MMII has neat devils, demons, daemons, and modrons as well as aboleth, grugach elves, verbeeg giants and others.

Fiend Folio has the elemental princes, slaad, drow, oriental dragons and lots of fun oddball individuals (Lolth! Iron Cobra! Hook Horror! Githyanki! Flumph!!!).

I really like the art in both.

The descriptions are unfortunately brief/limited in both.

FF came mostly from creature submissions to a magazine while MMII is more derived from 1e modules.

The Fiend Folio is a little more bizarre/wahoo and I give it a little edge in fun factor.

Remove ads