• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC posts generative AI FAQ: "We do not allow the use of generative AI in our art"

Hussar

Legend
Yeah but given your post upthread I don't feel like you're particularly sanguine about the issues, if you'll forgive my saying so.
No, probably not. I find most of the issues to be so overblown and the reaction so over the top that I find that my level of sympathy simply drops through the floor. The never ending stream of vitriol and negativity has largely burned nearly any sympathy I might have had away.

Vaalingrade

Legend
No, probably not. I find most of the issues to be so overblown and the reaction so over the top that I find that my level of sympathy simply drops through the floor. The never ending stream of vitriol and negativity has largely burned nearly any sympathy I might have had away.
I feel the same way about all bad things. Like plane manufacturers not bolting on important parts and having them drop off into unpopulated areas. So over-hyped!

I mean if they're so bad, why doesn't everyone just shut up about them forever and just let them happen?

Being slightly repetitive to me certainly outweighs the harm they do!

Dire Bare

Legend
I feel the same way about all bad things. Like plane manufacturers not bolting on important parts and having them drop off into unpopulated areas. So over-hyped!

I mean if they're so bad, why doesn't everyone just shut up about them forever and just let them happen?

Thanks for illustrating @Hussar's point.

WotC letting a possible AI image slip through their editorial process and not shaming the artist is totally at the same level as a Boeing plane falling apart mid-air.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Thanks for illustrating @Hussar's point.

WotC letting a possible AI image slip through their editorial process and not shaming the artist is totally at the same level as a Boeing plane falling apart mid-air.
It's not the same. You know it's not the same AND that I'm not saying so.

I'm saying that telling people to shut up about things that have a negative effect on people is callus and selfish. But sure, let's mislead with rhetoric to bury the lead.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Frankly, I'm just so tired of the negativity and wolf crying that I tend to block it all out. I've seen people decry WotC as teh evil since the 3e days. And it's only gotten more strident and pervasive over time. There's just so much static to signal noise ratio that I block out legitimate problems simply because they are lumped in with the ten thousand completely ludicrous crap that I've had to listen to over and over and over and over again for almost three decades now.

It really is a shame. There are some very legitimate issues with what WotC has done over the years. But, because it gets buried under so much crap, I just can't find it in myself to really care anymore because I'm just so tired of wading through the garbage just to hear that one actual, legitimate complaint.
Just zap them, man. I have people on both sides of the issue blocked, because they don't add anything to the discussion at this point, other than predictable canned comments. My experience is immensely better and it's rare that I'm so intrigued by what someone is saying in response to them that I peek at what I'm missing. (And it never turns out that it was anything important.)

Hussar

Legend

Yes, because corporate incompetence and corruption leading to potential death is on the same level as using pin up art in a gaming book.

:erm:

Hussar

Legend
It's not the same. You know it's not the same AND that I'm not saying so.

I'm saying that telling people to shut up about things that have a negative effect on people is callus and selfish. But sure, let's mislead with rhetoric to bury the lead.
No, that's exactly what you said and exactly how I took it. I most certainly didn't bury the lede.

Endlessly going on and on about, say, sending Pinkerton's to someone's house, a year after the fact, bringing it up into every single discussion, repeatedly, and, repeatedly misreporting the facts of what actually happened, isn't quite the same as reports of corporate malfeasance potentially resulting in death.

But, yeah, as @Dire Bare so rightly pointed out, the fact that you would immediately equate the two things, without even attempting to add any sort of nuance or depth is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Mitigate and deflect all you want, complain about how 'overplayed' pointing that out is, but hurting people is still bad no matter the degree.

gban007

Adventurer
Mitigate and deflect all you want, complain about how 'overplayed' pointing that out is, but hurting people is still bad no matter the degree.
editing my somewhat flippant response that I think was just adding to the negativity, I will just say there is a lot of bad things in the world, and for better or worse people end up having to choose what they will be concerned with as such for their own mental wellbeing, and different people will have different things they will latch on to / bang on about. Almost any action undertaken by people that involve other people could hurt people, so a blanket statement like the above could lead down a rabbit hole, such that could say that the above statement is indeed hurting people by accusing them of deflecting, and so are they then allowed to keep pointing out in any conversatino with you that you said they were deflecting? I don't think that would be fair as such, but shows there is a limit somewhere, and will likely differ from person to person.
Also people come to hobby spaces etc for enjoyment and want to avoid negativity, and I think it is fine for them to express that desire / iterate how much the negativity is impacting them, as is surely just also pointing out negative effects, and if it is still bad no matter the degree, they should have just as much right as someone wanting to keeping brining up Pinkertons.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
WotC not deliberately including AI art in products, but potentially missing one of their artists doing so, and not publicly shaming said artist . . . that' s "hurting" someone?

Really hard to take you seriously here.

Remove ads