• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who tried to end the OGL?

nevin

Hero
Sorry, don’t see the relevance nor am I gonna talk politics.
The relavance is people always think those in thier bubble in this case WOTC and the internet forums they think are important, are more important than they really are. Everyone always thinks what they see or what they hear is more important than it really is.

TiQuinn

The relavance is people always think those in thier bubble in this case WOTC and the internet forums they think are important, are more important than they really are. Everyone always thinks what they see or what they hear is more important than it really is.
Ok.

TiQuinn

I don't understand why others were trustful in the first place. Corporations are going to be corporate. The question for me is their product pleasing or unpleasant, not much else matters.
Okay but I don’t see this as fundamentally different from what I said.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Okay but I don’t see this as fundamentally different from what I said.
Fundamentally, I don't trust corporations to be other than what they are: so corporate stupidity like the OGL doesn't impact buying purchases, even when it was a live issue. At this point, it is history, and hence even more irrelevant to my purchasing decisions. There is nothing to forgive or trust to be regained: it is nice that it world out well, but even if they had gone ahead wirh it I probably wouldn't change my habits. Whereas if they made books I didn't like, I wouldn't buy them or use them.

TiQuinn

Fundamentally, I don't trust corporations to be other than what they are: so corporate stupidity like the OGL doesn't impact buying purchases, even when it was a live issue. At this point, it is history, and hence even more irrelevant to my purchasing decisions. There is nothing to forgive or trust to be regained: it is nice that it world out well, but even if they had gone ahead wirh it I probably wouldn't change my habits. Whereas if they made books I didn't like, I wouldn't buy them or use them.
So not a third party product buyer, I take it?

I'm still mad about new Coke!!!
Don't forget the theory that New Coke was introduced so there would be outrage, and when Coke Classic came back, it would have a new, cheaper sweetener and people would have forgotten the taste of OG Coke. They expected a loss, but would make it back up by the savings. It was then Pepsi decided to declare they won the Cola Wars.

Oofta

Legend
I do purchase 3PP now and then, and WotC is making it even easier than ever with the addition of books to DndBeyond. Hopefully they'll add more.

But a policy that was never implemented doesn't change my ability to purchase 3PP if I want it. If someone decides to not publish something that I may have been interested in because they're still upset, that's on them not me.

mamba

Legend
I don't hold someone responsible for thinking about doing something when I asked them not to do it and they backed off and then some. 🤷‍♂️
yeah, I have heard this over and over 15 to 18 months ago. They did more than think about it, even if eventually they backed off.

Personally I am not holding a grudge, but I am waiting for the new SRD and the 3.x in CC and then we can see, for now they are on parole. That does not mean I do not understand why some people still do

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure I am, I buy all sorts of things that arenfrom WotC: Got the Vaesen Britain book for Christmas, for instance. But I am only going to buy third party stuff that I want, not stuff thar I don't want. And I don't "trust" Free League or Kobold Press, nor do I "distrust" them, any more or less than WotC. They are toy companies, if they make stuff I want I will buy it, if they don't, then I won't. They are not my friends.

TiQuinn

Sure I am, I buy all sorts of things that arenfrom WotC: Got the Vaesen Britain book for Christmas, for instance. But I am only going to buy third party stuff that I want, not stuff thar I don't want. And I don't "trust" Free League or Kobold Press, nor do I "distrust" them, any more or less than WotC. They are toy companies, if they make stuff I want I will buy it, if they don't, then I won't. They are not my friends.
Fair enough. I still am fully able to understand the opposite viewpoint.

Remove ads