• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Are Your Favorite TTRPG Genres

Favorite TTRPG Genres

• Classic/Dungeon Fantasy

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • Epic/High Fantasy

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Grim/Dark Fantasy

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Heroic/S&S Fantasy

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Hard Sci-Fi

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Space Opera

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Bio/Gene Punk

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Dieselpunk

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Mecha with or whout kaiju

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Space Fantasy

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (realistic)

• Post Apocalyptic (futuristic)

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (fantastical)

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (dying earth/far future)

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Supers, Golden Age

• Supers, Silver Age

• Supers, Iron Age

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Supers, Modern/nuSilver Age

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Supers, Deconstruction

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Supers, Futuristic

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Supers, Fantasy

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Pulp, Action

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Pulp, Noir

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Pulp, Horror

• Lovecraftian Horror

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Gothic Horror

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Slasher Horror

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Supernatural Horror

• Psychological Horror

• Urban Fantasy

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Cozy/Casual

• Romance

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Erotica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slice of Life

• Other/Something I forgot

• Added: Comedy

• Added: Crime

• Added: Supers, Street Level

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Added: Historical Fantasy

• Espionage

• Old West

• Added: Retro Sci-Fi

kronovan

Adventurer
Looking at the results as of this post, I am only really surprised by Urban Fantasy. Other than WoD, it doesn't seem to be a particularly well supported genre in TTRPGs. Dreseden is essentially defunct, isn't it? Laundry Files is more Lovecraftian horror, no?
Probably due to it being a genre in which players and GMs have different interpretations of what it encompasses. For a personal example, I consider Shadowrun with its mages, shamans, elves, dwarves, orcs & trolls to be much more of an urban fantasy setting with a mix of cyberpunk blended in. And I agree, that a number of the World of Darkness settings, if not most, are more akin to urban fantasy than gothic horror. I should note that I did vote for Gothic Horror as well. There's also a number of Victorian-themed settings that seem to fall under this genre - Gaslight for one. Bottom line; I often find it a challenge to categorize some of the settings available, being indecisive as to whether they're a subgenre of horror or are urban fantasy.

Thomas Shey

Legend
yeah Urban fantasy is a funny one since anything set in the modernish era (post 20th century) fits the definition eg is Ninja Turtles Urban Fantasy or Superhero? Is Buffy Superhero, Urban Fantasy or Horror?
what genre is City of Mist?

Trying to draw a bright line between urban fantasy, horror and supers is going to be functionally impossible since the Venn diagrams of the three have considerable overlap.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I wonder if it’s worth splitting classic/vintage space opera from new/modern space opera. Someone looking for a Doc Smith campaign is not looking for the stuff as someone looking for a Vernor Vinge, Adrian Tchaikovsky, or Stephen Baxter campaign.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I wonder if it’s worth splitting classic/vintage space opera from new/modern space opera. Someone looking for a Doc Smith campaign is not looking for the stuff as someone looking for a Vernor Vinge, Adrian Tchaikovsky, or Stephen Baxter campaign.
As a kneejerk, I don't think so? If for no other reason that "classic space opera" isn't really enough in the zeitgeist to be worth measuring.

However, it might be worth adding "retro sci-fi" to the list, which I think OG space opera would probably fall into for the purposes of the poll anyway.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
That’s a better idea than mine, yes. I’ve seen some Trav grognards holding forth on how no modern sf writer can hold a candle to even second or third rate authors of the ‘30s-‘50s. And there are l more folks who aren’t jerks about it, just preferring A over B for gaming.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
That’s a better idea than mine, yes. I’ve seen some Trav grognards holding forth on how no modern sf writer can hold a candle to even second or third rate authors of the ‘30s-‘50s. And there are l more folks who aren’t jerks about it, just preferring A over B for gaming.
It is late in the thread and few are likely to notice, but I added retro sci-fi anyway.

Laurefindel

Legend
Dieselpunk is a genre I really like but I don’t think I ever played such a RPG. Anything in the style of Jakub Rosalsky, or Maschinen Krieger?

I wouldn't say no modern author manages it, but the percentage of work demonstrating Sturgeon's Law has not improved notably over time IMO. Mind you, the old days had just as few gems and just as much dross, so it really does come down to what stories you cherry pick from each era to demonstrate quality - or lack thereof.
It is late in the thread and few are likely to notice, but I added retro sci-fi anyway.
Which I immediately changed my vote to include, which I think makes four times now. Unsurprising, given that my annual reading project has been reading Astounding from start to the point where it became Analog. I'm nearing the end of the 1950s now.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Superheroes. It started off as a pastiche of Frank Miller's Ronin and Daredevil comics. (Check the names of the ninja organizations.)

And, as far as I know, almost everything's got a science fiction explanation in TMNT, rather than a "there are secretly fae all around us" one.
There was chi magic and dragons in some TMNT versions and iirc ghosts too

I struggled a bit with the categories, but ended up picking Classic/Dungeon Fantasy, Heroic/S&S Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Space Opera, all Pulp options, Historical Fantasy and Retro Sci-Fi.
I think in general I lean towards settings that bring some kind of adventuring (I would consider missions in a Cyberpunk to fall under that umbrella, too) and a moderate amount of supernatural/fantastic elements. And beyond that, I appreciate an element of exploration and/or mystery story.
I will also play stuff not fitting these criteria - but it's more of an exception and so far, I haven't seen anything that I would really add to my favourites.

Two things that may or may not add to the list:
  1. Would modern pulp adventures in the style of Uncharted or Tomb Raider fit under the Pulp Action category or be another subcategory of pulp? (example of a system would be Broken Compass)
  2. What about fictional 80s/kids on bikes? (as in e.g. Tales from the Loop)

Remove ads