• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What Are Adventurers In Your World?

Reynard

Legend
In most D&D campaigns, the PCs are "adventurers." But, aside from the circular "they go on adventures" definition, there often isn't much of an effort to define what that means exactly.

In the real world when we talk about adventurers (to the extent we do) we usually mean people that take on extreme challenges as a form of sport: mountain climbing, cave diving, solo sailing, and so on. Sometimes they rely heavily on technology (trying to get a private sub to the bottom of the ocean, for example) and thus must either be wealthy or have wealthy patrons. Sometimes it is the opposite: doing Naked and Afraid for 60 days.

I don't think that is generally a good definition of D&D adventurers, though, although the classical dungeon exploration group is closest, probably. In D&D, it seems like "adventurer" is not a very accurate term. Characters caught up in events that lead them to saving the princess, the realm or the world aren't really "adventurers" by that definition.

So, who are "adventurers' in your worlds and campaigns? What do they do? What are "adventures" for that matter? Are "adventurers" and "heroes" synonyms in your world? Are they explorers, tomb robbers, mercenaries, agents of the crown, etc...?

I have seen the term applied to people in the real world who go to places well off the beaten track but I agree that alone is probably not adequate to define the term in a TRPG sense. I generally think of TRPG adventurers as people to whom adventures happen. They attract them. There's nothing about that that inherently makes them heroes or villains. This makes people in a world where this is a known phenomenon occasionally a little skittish. Given the sorts of things that land on especially high-level adventurers I think "skittish" is a pretty reasonable response.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
So, who are "adventurers' in your worlds and campaigns? What do they do? What are "adventures" for that matter?
Folks that have skills and abilities that seek out adventure in a wide variety of experiences. Im not sure how much more specific I can get. I think the general application is best since it leaves room for whatever type of character a player can think of. At the very least, a character should be one to go out and do things, especially in the face of danger.
Are "adventurers" and "heroes" synonyms in your world?
No.
Are they explorers, tomb robbers, mercenaries, agents of the crown, etc...?
All of the above if it fits the campaign and player desire.

aco175

Legend
Adventurers are people that risk their lives for wealth or favor. A town guard or soldier may not be an adventurer, but may become one if they take on more specific missions. Most people in the world have little want for risking their lives and become farmers and craftsmen.

The view of most people in my world towards adventurers can be more varied as well. Most commoners away from cities view them as suspicious necessities. People in power may view them more as paid rat-catchers, for not having loyalties. Feeling change once they start to gain fame through deed though and adventurers can become local celebrities like TV stars or sports figures.

mamba

Legend
So, who are "adventurers' in your worlds and campaigns? What do they do? What are "adventures" for that matter?
depends on the campaign, frequently they are just people swept up in (or even seek out) events that are above their paygrade, but are too stubborn to back down

Are "adventurers" and "heroes" synonyms in your world?
not by default, but frequently it works out that way for the PCs

Are they explorers, tomb robbers, mercenaries, agents of the crown, etc...?
could be any of these and others, they find a reason to get involved in something, rather than bowing out, and then stick with it

To the common folk Adventurers are seen as a mix between Bounty Hunters, Explorers, Problem Solvers and Helpers. So, a mix of The A-Team, Expendables, Leverage, Warehouse 13, Supernatural and X-Files.

The basic idea is they live somewhere on the "edge" of society...mostly unseen by most people. But when you have a problem...and no one else can help...and if you can find them...maybe they can help you.

The world is full...really full of monsters...real monsters. And for the most part the common folk are mostly helpless vs the monsters. But more so the common folk just don't have the knowledge or experience to be effective combatants vs most monsters. And this does not even scratch the surface of the more people like monsters like vampires and werewolves.

Of course a lot of people also don't like the adventurers. Many see them as little more then grave robbers or tomb robbers. And many don't like that not only do they not live in "society", but they also follow few or even none of societies rules. And it does not help that many adventurers can be "wild" at best.

Though a lot of people also fall a bit in the middle...they don't really like adventurers...but see them as a necessary evil. Even the King that does not like the 'wild' adventurers that wander the kingdom...he is more then happy to call on them to slay a dragon.

Yaarel

He Mage
Adventurers aka player characters aka heroes, are normal people who advance to high levels preternaturally.

The ordinary people are Common levels 1 thru 4 and Uncommon levels 5 thru 8.

The heroes normally start at level 1 around the age of 20, seemingly ordinary. They rapidly gain levels, and achieve tiers of power that most people never do.

"Adventurer", as used in D&D, seems to most closely resemble a combination of 18th and 19th century explorers (those that explored and filled out the blank spaces on maps) and 18th and 19th century archeologists (who at that time were motivated more by personal fame, wealth, or proving their own pet theories than a genuine interest in historical truth). For me the term adventurer only appears in the setting if it's at a high enough level of organization to have adventurer guilds or companies. In that instance, the adventurers look a lot like the historical examples. Wealthy patrons commissioning skilled people to either find something or solve a mystery. Interestingly, player characters in those games would be just as likely to not be official "Adventurers". D&D characters in general would more accurately be called heroes in my opinion, as characters tend to act more like comic book superheroes than anything else. Exceptional people that pursue their own goals and are powerful enough to not need, or want, outside help for the most part.

Last edited:

Remove ads