• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Vecna Eve of Ruin: Everything You Need To Know

WotC has posted a video telling you 'everything you need to know' about Vecna: Eve Of Ruin.

WotC has posted a 19-minute video telling you 'everything you need to know' about Vecna: Eve Of Ruin.
  • Starts at 10th level, goes to 20th.
  • Classic villains and setting, famous characters, D&D's legacy.
  • Vecna wants to become the supreme being of the multiverse.
  • Vecna is a god of secrets and secrets and the power of secrets are a theme throughout the book.
  • A mechanical subsystem for using the power of secrets during combat.
  • Going back to Ravenloft, the Nine Hells, places where 5th Edition has been in the last 10 years.
  • It would be a fun 'meta experience' for players to visit locations they remember lore about.
  • Finding pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts, pieces throughout the multiverse.
  • Each piece in one of seven distinct planes or settings.
  • Allustriel Silverhand has noticed something is wrong, puts call out to Tasha and Mordenkainen, who come to her sanctum in Sigil.
  • The (10th level) PCs are fated to confront Vecna.
  • Lord Soth and Strahd show up. Tiamat is mentioned but doesn't appear 'on screen'.
  • Twists, turns, spoilers.
  • It's a 'love letter to D&D'.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.01.41.png
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.01.57.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.04.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.03.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.06.12.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.06.57.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.07.24.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.08.29.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.09.26.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.10.02.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.10.52.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.13.06.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.18.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.21.31.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.22.34.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.27.33.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.28.15.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.29.02.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.30.14.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.31.45.png
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.31.14.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.33.25.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.34.07.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.36.02.png

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I haven't seen that Doctor Who episode, but those are some very interesting ideas! Not surprising given it was written by Adams!
A few clarifications:

The Key to Time arc was designed by Graham Williams, the producer of the show.

The individual stories were written by various writers, including Douglas Adams - I don't think his story is great, though it has good moments.

The Ribos Operation by Robert Holmes
The Pirate Planet by Douglas Adams
The Stones of Blood by David Fisher
The Androids of Tara by David Fisher
The Power of Kroll by Robert Holmes
The Armageddon Factor by Bob Baker and Dave Martin

The script editor was Anthony Read for the season.
Douglas Adams would be the script editor for the following season, and contributed to script editing on The Armageddon Factor, including rewriting the final confrontation with the Black Guardian.

A few clarifications:

The individual stories were written by various writers, including Douglas Adams - I don't think his story is great, though it has good moments.

Douglas Adams would be the script editor for the following season, and contributed to script editing on The Armageddon Factor, including rewriting the final confrontation with the Black Guardian.

What's interesting about that season, and is something that has been mentioned here before, is that most of those stories could very easily be turned in D&D scenarios. Three of the stories feature planets that are at a medieval tech level or lower - two have minimal amounts of technology which could easily be substituted for magic, but the third would be a bit more difficult and require some work. One story is (mostly) set on modern-day Earth, but in a rural area where modern technology isn't that important, and the story leans heavily into folk horror tropes that would work well in D&D anyway. The remaining two are pretty unabashedly sci-fi, but one could, with some work, be transformed into a wacky Spelljammer adventure. The remaining one, however, would be pretty tough to convert.

Basically:

TRO: Easy to convert. Ribos is a planet that is currently at a medieval level of development. It would just need to change the offworld visitors to Ribos as being from some other country or continent and switch out their technology for magic. Besides that, it's flush with D&D-type stuff: there are crown jewels locked away in a citadel guarded by monsters, two rogues trying to pull a fast one on the out-of-town nobility, prophesies of doom, myths of the gods fighting in the heavens, and a good old-fashioned dungeon crawl in catacombs...

TPP: Hard to convert. It could be turned into a Spelljammer campaign on a more massive scale than most, with a helm of a crashed ship now moving planets. The psionic subplot might be hard to convert to 5e.

TSoB: Somewhat easy to convert. The parts on Earth are just your typical evil druid plot, using evil earth elementals; even if it's in the present day, adjusting it to a more D&D-esque period wouldn't require much work at all. The parts on the villan's spaceship would be the tougher section, although since the spaceship is in hyperspace immediately adjacent to the stone circle, it could just be re-skinned as a citadel in the Feywild with the stone circle being a fey crossing (and the villan is very evil fey-like).

TAoT. Easiest to convert. Tara is a planet where, after a plague killed off most people and the titular androids were built en masse to take over most of the work, the remnant population re-created the world as a sort of Renaissance-era feudal playground. There are swordfights, kidnapings, monsters, castles, political intrigue over the succession - lots of your standard D&D tropes. Basically, Tara is a world where only the role-players survived and re-created it as they wished lol. The remaining technology could easily be re-skinned as magic ("Taran rapier: This rapier does an additional 1d6 lightning damage on a hit"). The only real issue would be the titular androids; since them breaking down and malfunctioning (always at the worst times of course) drives much of the plot, they would have to be more magi-tech than being the result of cloning or the like; maybe something like human-looking totally-mechanical warforged (without the whole soul situation).

TPoK: Somewhat hard to convert. As it's a colonist vs colonized plot, the natives and the monster would be easily to convert to D&D terms, but the colonists and their huge refiinery would be quite a bit more difficult. Poweful mages having created a huge citadel that drains energy from the area, perhaps?

TAF: This would be the hardest to convert, as it's by far the most sci-fi, as well as the most modern with its themes of the horrors of war and mutually assured destruction. With a lot of work, it might be able to be coverted to some huge magic war that got so seriously out of hand that the Twin Cataclysms or the Day of Mourning are tiny squabbles in comparison, but it would be very weird D&D indeed.

So, it could work as a Rod of Seven Parts quest. Although the Key only has six parts, the tracer which tracks down the parts of the Key is actually what holds the Key together, and is given at the start, so it's the de facto first of seven pieces.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
One of the funniest things about all of this is that I've already run a Rod of Seven Parts campaign in 5E, taking characters to level 20. (They needed it to defeat Xan Yae, who was raging against Veluna and fighting St Cuthbert on the Prime Material plane. It was bad!)

That campaign ended a couple of years ago. (One player from that campaign is now playing Eve of Ruin with me. :))

I didn't do so much planar hopping. One part was in the Elemental Plane of Air, and there were interesting squabbles between elementals and genies.

But I was using classic adventures as part of it. One part: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks! Another part: Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth!

And yeah, it was "get the first part, then go to each one in turn". And The Key to Time was very much in my mind as I ran it.

Cheers,
Merric

What's interesting about that season, and is something that has been mentioned here before, is that most of those stories could very easily be turned in D&D scenarios. Three of the stories feature planets that are at a medieval tech level or lower - two have minimal amounts of technology which could easily be substituted for magic, but the third would be a bit more difficult and require some work. One story is (mostly) set on modern-day Earth, but in a rural area where modern technology isn't that important, and the story leans heavily into folk horror tropes that would work well in D&D anyway. The remaining two are pretty unabashedly sci-fi, but one could, with some work, be transformed into a wacky Spelljammer adventure. The remaining one, however, would be pretty tough to convert.

Basically:

TRO: Easy to convert. Ribos is a planet that is currently at a medieval level of development. It would just need to change the offworld visitors to Ribos as being from some other country or continent and switch out their technology for magic. Besides that, it's flush with D&D-type stuff: there are crown jewels locked away in a citadel guarded by monsters, two rogues trying to pull a fast one on the out-of-town nobility, prophesies of doom, myths of the gods fighting in the heavens, and a good old-fashioned dungeon crawl in catacombs...

TPP: Hard to convert. It could be turned into a Spelljammer campaign on a more massive scale than most, with a helm of a crashed ship now moving planets. The psionic subplot might be hard to convert to 5e.

TSoB: Somewhat easy to convert. The parts on Earth are just your typical evil druid plot, using evil earth elementals; even if it's in the present day, adjusting it to a more D&D-esque period wouldn't require much work at all. The parts on the villan's spaceship would be the tougher section, although since the spaceship is in hyperspace immediately adjacent to the stone circle, it could just be re-skinned as a citadel in the Feywild with the stone circle being a fey crossing (and the villan is very evil fey-like).

TAoA. Easiest to convert. Tara is a planet where, after a plague killed off most people and the titular androids were built en masse to take over most of the work, the remnant population re-created the world as a sort of Renaissance-era feudal playground. There are swordfights, kidnapings, monsters, castles, political intrigue over the succession - lots of your standard D&D tropes. Basically, Tara is a world where only the role-players survived and re-created it as they wished lol. The remaining technology could easily be re-skinned as magic ("Taran rapier: This rapier does an additional 1d6 lightning damage on a hit"). The only real issue would be the titular androids; since them breaking down and malfunctioning (always at the worst times of course) drives much of the plot, they would have to be more magi-tech than being the result of cloning or the like; maybe something like human-looking totally-mechanical warforged (without the whole soul situation).

TPoK: Somewhat hard to convert. As it's a colonist vs colonized plot, the natives and the monster would be easily to convert to D&D terms, but the colonists and their huge refiinery would be quite a bit more difficult. Poweful mages having created a huge citadel that drains energy from the area, perhaps?

TAF: This would be the hardest to convert, as it's by far the most sci-fi, as well as the most modern with its themes of the horrors of war and mutually assured destruction. With a lot of work, it might be able to be coverted to some huge magic war that got so seriously out of hand that the Twin Cataclysms or the Day of Mourning are tiny squabbles in comparison, but it would be very weird D&D indeed.

So, it could work as a Rod of Seven Parts quest. Although the Key only has six parts, the tracer which tracks down the parts of the Key is actually what holds the Key together, and is given at the start, so it's the de facto first of seven pieces.
I did convert and run The Stones of Blood as a 5e adventure (the ship became a gith astral ship) and The Power of Kroll to Star Wars D6.

Hussar

Legend
I've heard these style of campaigns referred to as "string of pearls" campaigns. Yes, you are going to go from Adventure A to B to C in order, but, within each adventure, you have a great deal of freedom. While I understand the resistance to linear adventures, sometimes I think people are too quick to play the Railroad! card just because the campaign isn't 100% open.

A few clarifications:

It was Douglas Adams who suggested making one of the segments a person.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've heard these style of campaigns referred to as "string of pearls" campaigns. Yes, you are going to go from Adventure A to B to C in order, but, within each adventure, you have a great deal of freedom. While I understand the resistance to linear adventures, sometimes I think people are too quick to play the Railroad! card just because the campaign isn't 100% open.
Yeah. I sort of occasionally call them hourglass campaigns: you're in a small sandbox, you eventually move through to the next section, which is another bounded sandbox! :)

NB, the Androids of Tara was based on The Prisoner of Zenda. If doing it in D&D it would probably be easier to drop the android and go with the original plot hook: one of the PCs is a double of the kidnapped heir.

One lesson I learned from Doctor Who was to plagiarise unashamedly!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
NB, the Androids of Tara was based on The Prisoner of Zenda. If doing it in D&D it would probably be easier to drop the android and go with the original plot hook: one of the PCs is a double of the kidnapped heir.

One lesson I learned from Doctor Who was to plagiarise unashamedly!
Oh, definitely!

Remove ads

Remove ads