• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell Me About DC20

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I'm not worried about the Kickstarter Funding. I'd be willing to bet on that happening. He did a book on KS a couple years ago and got it, so with his increased following since then, and how it seems like there's RPGs funding left and right these days, I'm not worried about that.

I don't know if it'll be a big million dollar KS book.. But it'll fund.

Whether or not it's good is another thing.
There's a lot of ideas mentioned in the posts above that I agree with, but nailing a heartbreaker requires getting an awful lot of details right.

Arilyn

Hero
He's very excited about the system and it does look good. I'm pretty sure he'll be adding lots of supplements, provided it has the support. Dungeon Coach has shifted to full time you tuber and game designer. I'm feeling pretty optimistic for him. Like other successful you tubers, DC built up an audience before launching a large project. And he has experience with KS.

Elvish Lore

Explorer
I love his enthusiasm but I'm not sure that's quite enough for me. Our DM bought the Dungeon Coach's (very expensive) pdf of 5e hacks and house rules a couple years back and there were a lot of interesting ideas in there but in practice, at the gaming table, quite a few of them were game breaking and kind of a mess in play.

The Coach has lots of experience with 5e, a tiny bit of P2e, and not much else and DC 20 is a bunch of 5e house rules and rules eliminations that don't have much design intentions beyond... um... he likes them better than 5e-native. Fair but not sure I'm going to pay for someone's hack. 🤷

I see a link to the alpha rules where he now charges 99 cents for them. Great. For months (a year?) he's been charging $10 for alpha rules... mostly untested (except with a home group, I'm guessing?) and that gave you no access to beta rules which will come with the KS (as far as I can tell). I get that he was trying to generate income while developing the game but, obviously, as a consumer, I thought that was kind of a rip. Again, whatever. It's my prob, not his.

I hope he's successful. I think he'll easily fund, a game will be published, and it'll have a small fanbase of players. That's fine. I'm looking for games that have a larger community behind them, not just to discuss the game but also to share resources. Thing is, I can't imagine DC 20 RPG will ever have more than an exceedingly niche footprint. I have a hundred of those type of generic fantasy heartbreaker games already and don't need more.

Remove ads