• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Repeating crossbow - WTF!

Hi

Could someone please explain to me why anyone would spend a feat to be able to use a repeating crossbow.
Why not just use a bow? And spend the feat on rapid shot or something. If you're not proficient with bows, why not spend the feat on a bow instead of Repeating Crossbow.

I'm trying really really hard, but I just can see any advantages to the rep. X-bow that warrants the spending off a feat.

:confused:

Judas

First Post
A heavy repeating crossbow that allows you to shoot up to as many attacks in a round that your character is allowed. Heavy Repeating Crossbow has double the range of a bow and a heavy crossbow does d10 damage instead of d8.

pikafunk

First Post
none. Its the same thing with the hand crossbow and a great deal of the other exotic weapons. Especialy since every class (nearly) is profficient in crossbow, and reloading (i think its called) is only a +1 enhancement bonus.

Pinotage

Explorer
Flavour mostly, I would imagine. Some players like crossbows and others like bows. If you're not proficient with bows, there's not a lot in it. Heavy Repeating Crossbow does more damage than a composite longbow (1d10 vs 1d8), but then you get 'mighty' bows for added strength damage. Crossbow has a higher threat range but the multiplier is lower. Comes down to personal preference in the old end. Of course, you're more likely to find a bow in a dungeon than a heavy repeating crossbow (has anybody ever seen a module that sports one of these or other exotic weapons?). :)

Pinotage

knifespeaks

First Post
Well, theoretically you shouldn't be able to keep a normal bow perpetually strung - hence, for that reason alone a crossbow is a superior weapon.

That helps a bit I guess :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Pinotage said:
Heavy Repeating Crossbow does more damage than a composite longbow (1d10 vs 1d8), but then you get 'mighty' bows for added strength damage.
This is the tradeoff, really. If you have a good strength bonus, a mighty bow is superior. But if you don't have a strength bonus, and never play to get one, then a d10 is more average damage than the bow's d8.

Edit to add: A crossbow can also be fired while prone, garnering the attacker an additional +4 to AC.

Last edited:

Henrix

Explorer
Nor can you really have a crossbow strung all the time, for much the same reasons that you can't have a bow strung. The springiness goes out of the bow, and the bowstring stretches.

The reason for a PC to use a crossbow in D&D is to avoid taking their negetive strength modifier to damage. ;)

Klaus

First Post
A character with a Str penalty (say, a halfling) can use a repeating crossbow to fire as much as she can, and the damage is steady (plus the increased threat range).

With a bow, she'd have to endure her Str penalty to all her bow shots.

If you build a fighter type with high Dex, low Str, this is a very good option. And "repeating" is not something that is available to every game. So, in a relatively low-magic setting, it might well be worth a feat.

Remove ads