• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Mixed Heritages- Have you used them during character creation or to create a new heritage?(+)

How many of you have used the rather simple rules in Level Up to create a character of mixed heritage? And how many of you used mixed heritage to brew up a completely new heritage for Level Up?

For those of you who have yet to check out Level Up, mixed heritage works by choosing a heritage and then choosing a heritage gift from another heritage. So if you wanted to play a Half-Elf that kind of resembles the 5e Half-Elf, you would first pick the Elf Heritage and then you would pick a gift from the Human Heritage. To duplicate the Half-Elf's Half-Elf Versatility trait from 5e, you would need to pick up one of the four Elven Cultures in Level Up (Eladrin, High, Shadow or Wood).

Mixed heritage as shown in Purple Martin Games' Manual of Adventurous Resources: Complete (MoAR) can also be used as a quick and easy way to create new heritages for Level Up. There are two ways you can do this using mixed heritages. The first is to use the rules for mixed heritage as is. Say you want to recreate this race as a heritage for Level Up:

Lythari

All you need to do is pick the Elf Heritage and the Lupine Ascension gift from the Garoul | Level Up After that, you just need to create a culture for them. ;) Or you could use the two Garoul cultures for them, Blood Pack | Level Up and Moonkeeper | Level Up

The second way to create a new heritage for Level Up is to take a heritage, and add/replace traits to it's list of commonly held traits in lieu of a gift. A couple years ago, I found myself wondering how to make a Sea Elf for Level Up. They had the same kind of traits found in most elves in 5e (Fey Ancestry, Trance). But they also had traits not associated with most elves such being able to breathe both air and water, and a swim speed. Well MoAR had something of an answer to this little problem. ;) The Merfolk. To create an Aquatic Elf, all you need to do is to pick the Merfolk heritage. And then in lieu of a gift (which is essentially a 1st-level racial feat), you just added the traits of the elf heritage. You would also replace the Merfolk's age, size and speed traits with those of an elf.

Elven traits- Age, Size, Speed (with a swim speed), Fey Ancestry and Trance.
Merfolk traits- Amphibious, Deep Darkvision, Deep Sea Explorer and Oceanic Solidarity

Anyhow, I am curious to see if anyone has used Mixed Heritage for character creation or homebrewing. :)

Arilyn

Hero
I haven't home brewed mixed heritages yet but it'll probably happen.

I love the mixed heritage system. I had a gnome/halfling ranger and recently a human/dwarf wizard.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I use the heritage creation rules in Homebrew and Hacking, or I just adapt from the original source when I make heritages. I would use mixed heritage if I had an actual mixed heritage character to model.

Selganor

Adventurer
DS9's Odo is probably a Changeling/Oozefolk hybrid (both from DDG) ;)

So far I haven't had the need to mix and match Heritages but I am well aware of the option.

Remove ads