• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Looking for campaign / adventure path suggestions

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Hi all. I am looking for a D&D campaign running 1st through 20th. Something similar to Paizo's adventure paths (PF1 is our usual game of choice). Everywhere I look there is nothing. It seems campaigns for D&D5 are really short or everyone is just running individual adventures. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My reason for asking, is that my group likes the adventure path format. We're very experienced PF1 players but I want to give DMing D&D5 a go (My experience with D&D goes back to 1st but we skipped 4th for PF1). I'd like to try and run something pre-written first to get my head around things before I try writing my own campaign.

aco175

Legend
I ran the Princes of the Apocalypse book (PotA). It was ok and ran to level 14/15. I ended up making some additional material and side quests that are on DMsGuild from free to maybe help. There are enough places that you can add more if you want to help in your game design.

I think other people have polled this campaign more in the middle of all that have come out, but I thought it worked enough and the players ended up with plenty to do and explore.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I ran the Princes of the Apocalypse book (PotA). It was ok and ran to level 14/15. I ended up making some additional material and side quests that are on DMsGuild from free to maybe help. There are enough places that you can add more if you want to help in your game design.

I think other people have polled this campaign more in the middle of all that have come out, but I thought it worked enough and the players ended up with plenty to do and explore.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

WotC has few 5E campaigns that run 1-20. They've found that their customer's just don't like them. (or more precisely, high level play).

Whichever way you go, you will need to supplment. I like PotA. But the one campaign I ran all the way to 20th was a mixup of the Beyond Icespire Tilogy, DoMM (Alexandrian Remix), homebrew and 3rd party (City of Brass) with Ebondeath as the re-occuring BBEG, though the Cssalanters reoccured several times too.

GuyBoy

Hero
I ran Ghosts of Saltmarsh and we had a great time. As ever, I played around with a few bits, for example adding in a bit of Baltron’s Beacon in the swamp and adding a bit more political intrigue in Saltmarsh itself, but the book is well-written and fun.
I’ve also played in Curse of Strahd which is superb.
Have you thought about looking outside WOTC? If so, I’d recommend Scarlet Citadel by Kobold Press, if you like a dungeon crawl.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I have a copy of Ghosts of Saltmarsh. I will run that at some point.

I'm very happy with third party campaigns. I'll take a look at Scarlet Citadel. Any other suggestions?

GuyBoy

Hero
I have a copy of Ghosts of Saltmarsh. I will run that at some point.

I'm very happy with third party campaigns. I'll take a look at Scarlet Citadel. Any other suggestions?
Not a recommendation as such (because I haven’t run them yet) but my next two campaigns are going to be Dark Tower and Vecna, though I’m not sure what order.

Remove ads