• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
So back to the question of what the campaign setting design is going to look like and how they are going to use Greyhawk to show it:

Do you think they will be using the design philosophy of starting ina limited region and expanding out, which means we will only be getting a small portion of GH (like the Saltmarsh region, as an example) or do you think they will be advocating top down design and we will be getting Oerth?
I doubt it will be top down. But whether or not they talk about starting in a limited region and expanding out, there are still plenty of options that could be covered.

A lot of people may expect them to use the Free City of Greyhawk as an example - and they might. It would certainly be a useful example of a large city near a major dungeon adventuring site. Big cities, however, are pretty complex to start with. So maybe they'll start even smaller.

They would have a pretty good reason to use the village of Hommlet as an example starting location. It's small and easily defined and has a well-known adventuring site not too far away. Radiating outward we've got places like Nulb and the city of Verbobonc offering support. Outward from there we've got places like Greyhawk and Dyvers as well as the international political situation between Veluna/Furyondy and Iuz, the trade rivalry between Dyvers and Greyhawk, etc.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I doubt it will be top down. But whether or not they talk about starting in a limited region and expanding out, there are still plenty of options that could be covered.

A lot of people may expect them to use the Free City of Greyhawk as an example - and they might. It would certainly be a useful example of a large city near a major dungeon adventuring site. Big cities, however, are pretty complex to start with. So maybe they'll start even smaller.

They would have a pretty good reason to use the village of Hommlet as an example starting location. It's small and easily defined and has a well-known adventuring site not too far away. Radiating outward we've got places like Nulb and the city of Verbobonc offering support. Outward from there we've got places like Greyhawk and Dyvers as well as the international political situation between Veluna/Furyondy and Iuz, the trade rivalry between Dyvers and Greyhawk, etc.
Why have a map of the City of Greyhawk, if the text addresses the village of Hommlet?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Why have a map of the City of Greyhawk, if the text addresses the village of Hommlet?
One would hope, if they are doing a Points of Light campaign, that they're NOT starting with a massive, cosmopolitan city. Save that for a section on designing urban adventures. Use a smaller locale for an example of PoL or bottom->up setting design like Hommlet and the Free City of Greyhawk can be that "bright, shining city" everyone aspires to get to. <cue gnomish bard Phrank Cyn Atra and his music "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere...">

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Are Zoomers aging out of the D&D market?? I was thinking the opposite. I always assumed D&D's core demographic was high-school/college aged people moving up through young professionals, which would be Gen Z. The former is the group that has the time and the passion to play the game, with the latter being the older version of the same group, but now with the spending power to buy all the content they wish they still had time to play.

How old are the older Gen Alpha kids? 10? 12? I can see this generation getting into D&D, but probably mostly through the influence of older, Zoomer siblings, or Millennial parents.
WotC longterm target for D&D (consistant since the build-up to 3E) is 12-24 year olds, whereas Zoomers are currently ~14-28 year olds. Certainly still the main target, but over the next decade phasing out. A lot of WotC marketing efforts are moving towards Alphas now.

Either way, trying "WhatUp, Fellow Kid" is less effective than refreshing something rooted.
I think this is possibly a big selling point. This is the 50th anniversary.. So they can offer nostalgia for those looking for that, they can offer history for the people looking for that, and then at the same time, to a new player who doesn't know or care about Gygax, or Greyhawk.. It can all still be used as reference material. It seems like a good choice for casting a wide net.
Well stated, agreed 100%

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think you're overestimating what's going to be in the chapter. It probably just going to be bare-bones info. There's probably going to be very little "tone" involved.

EDIT: actually, from further responses, it looks like a lot of posters are overestimating what we're going to see in this chapter.
Hard to know exactly, but "about as much as the 1980 Folio" is quite reasonable: that was a terse product.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So back to the question of what the campaign setting design is going to look like and how they are going to use Greyhawk to show it:

Do you think they will be using the design philosophy of starting ina limited region and expanding out, which means we will only be getting a small portion of GH (like the Saltmarsh region, as an example) or do you think they will be advocating top down design and we will be getting Oerth?
So, some Bloggers and influences have been doing the "Gygax 75 Challenge" fir the past half decade, based on a 5 step campaign setting development program laid out by Gary Gygax in an article in the fanzine Europa in 1975...an article that WorC is actively printing and selling next month.

The 5 steps as outlined by Gygax:

That's right, folks.
The referee of the campaign must structure the game so as to have
something to play. He must decide upon these things:
1) The overall setting of the campaign;
2) The countryside of the immediate area;
3) The location of the dungeon where most adventures will take
place;
4) The layout and composition of the nearest large town; and
5) Eventually the entire world - and possibly other worlds, times,
dimensions, and so forth must be structured, mapped and added.

Remove ads