• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Using 4e elements for your 5e games?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
As much as I can, honestly.

The already mentioned skill challenges (with tweaking), monster roles & templates, minions, bloodied condition, along with a one-page chart for monster stats, rituals (anyone can cast non-combat spells with a scroll, ritual book, paying cost, etc), PC power sources & roles (primal defender, arcane leader, etc; mostly used as descriptors and treated like Fate Aspects to give narrative permission and dis/advantage on relevant rolls), the World Axis cosmology, the points-of-light concept (almost always), the Nentir Vale setting (frequently), all the advice in the DMG1 and DMG2 (they're honestly the best DMGs ever published for any edition of D&D), residuum, etc.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We use bloodied when something is a half hit points and below.
I’m contemplating a minion-esque rule for martial characters (fighter, ranger, paladin, rogue, monk) using the same CR of creatures destroyed by clerical turning. If they hit, and the target is low enough CR, it’s a kill.

zakael19

Adventurer
As much as I can, honestly.

The already mentioned skill challenges (with tweaking), monster roles & templates, minions, bloodied condition, along with a one-page chart for monster stats, rituals (anyone can cast non-combat spells with a scroll, ritual book, paying cost, etc), PC power sources & roles (primal defender, arcane leader, etc; mostly used as descriptors and treated like Fate Aspects to give narrative permission and dis/advantage on relevant rolls), the World Axis cosmology, the points-of-light concept (almost always), the Nentir Vale setting (frequently), all the advice in the DMG1 and DMG2 (they're honestly the best DMGs ever published for any edition of D&D), residuum, etc.
Oh yes, the DMG advice is so good - and POL is now my favorite "generic" fantasy setting because of the space it leaves for players to make a mark; plus the TTTNV factions have such rich hooks for opposition/premises.

How are you running SCs in 5e for best effect?

grimmgoose

Explorer
I use the Bloodied condition, skill challenges, and when I design monsters, I use the 4E role methodology.

When I try to design encounters, I also try to envision the “roles” that each monster will take.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Oh yes, the DMG advice is so good - and POL is now my favorite "generic" fantasy setting because of the space it leaves for players to make a mark; plus the TTTNV factions have such rich hooks for opposition/premises.
Yeah. It's a fantastic premise (points of light) and the setting was really a great blend of filled-in and blank spots. Wonderful stuff.
How are you running SCs in 5e for best effect?
For awhile I did what I called dynamic skill challenges. Set the number of successes required and a time limit. The successes were typically tied to specific things, like it'll take 2 successes to overcome this obstacle...and 3 successes to overcome that obstacle. Set up a dynamic situation with multiple solutions and leave room for the players to get creative. The PCs could use any skill they wanted that made sense. Failures would create new obstacles or add complications. I effectively recreated clocks from games like Blades in the Dark. So I just started calling them clocks.

Clint_L

Hero
Of the various aspects of 4e that were inspired by CRPGs, the bloodied condition is by far the most successful, IMO. I really like variations on it for BBEGs.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Monster Roles were by far the most useful aspect of 4e encounter design and turning them to templates is an ongoing boon.
Weapon groups and feats are a great thing too
Skill Challenges are great and Im sure I was doing them in 3.5

Also Fate Aspects to get +2 and Zones for combat (Close, Reach, Throw, Range, Long)

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
Slightly more niche than the stuff other posters are listing: I'm thinking of updating the 4e version of genasi to 5e. I like how 4e genasi can potentially acquire the ability to manifest more than one element. To me, that gives 4e genasi a strong Elemental Chaos vibe, in the same way each of the existing 5e genasi has a strong mono-elemental-plane vibe. Together, 4e and 5e genasi would make a complete set representing all the 5e elemental planes.

Remove ads