• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not DnD: Rob Heinsoo Talks 13th Age 2nd Edition

Join us as we speak to Rob Heinsoo about this new edition

Designed by lead designers on D&D 3E and 4E, 13th Age was the most anticipated game of the year way back in 2013 right here on EN World. 10 years later it's back with a new edition, and has been voted the 3rd most anticipated game of 2023 by EN World users. Join us as we speak to Rob Heinsoo about this new edition.

Not DnD is a weekly show where Jessica Hancock chats to the creators of tabletop roleplaying games.

You can catch Not DnD every week at 10-pm on our Twitch channel, catch up on past episodes on YouTube, or listen to it as a weekly podcast wherever you get your pods! Past episodes include Dune, Star Trek Adventures, WFRP, Blade Runner, and many more.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Even though I've still only read the game
It's my favorite D&D-like game, including D&D. Not saying it doesn't have it's warts, such as casting is too combat focused for non-Wizards, original monsters were too D&D-based (fixed in the Bestiaries) and it could use better Icon Relationship guidance in the core book, but generally I really enjoy it.

It's going to be two core books, one for players and one for DMs.

Staffan

Legend
It's my favorite D&D-like game, including D&D. Not saying it doesn't have it's warts, such as casting is too combat focused for non-Wizards,
I was going to ask if they had revised the rules for rituals to be more like 4e, but then I looked at their website and saw that they had doubled down on the previous version. That's a shame, because siloing off non-combat magic into rituals was one of the better ideas in 4e, and none of its successors have gone with that – those that do have rituals have all made them into "Spells ++" instead.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
The icons were my least favorite part of the game. It seems like every session I'd get "enemy with the priestess, friendly with the great wyrm, and foot massage from the orc chief" - just had no idea how to string together the results into a sensible arc.
I think the Icons were one of the biggest sore points and house-rules of the first edition- I'm looking forward to the revised playtest/beta and seeing what they do with them.

I ran 13A for years and loooved it.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads