• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Mystara in new edition confirmed

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The Guild sells Orcs of Thar without any revisions. The Guild has removed titles it has found offensive. They can't police what the fans want or how they play. But they already filter what they can buy
I understand the legitimacy of selling historical archives as-is, such as Orcs of Thar.

The question is. If the Guild opens the Mystara setting for new fanmade content, a new product that simply quotes Orcs of Thar can violate the Guild sensitivity policies, nevermind a new product elaborating it.

How would an open Mystara work in this official Guild site?

I hope this was signal Mystara was unlocked in DMGuild. This should include Hollow World and Red Steel/Savage Coast.

* I could understand Dark Sun for the current standars may be "for mature audiences" when Hasbro wants D&D earns prestige as a family-friendly brand. My suggestion is to create some special seal like Black-Dog by White Wolf, for titles style "Book of Vile Darkness" or "Book of Exalted Deeds". We should remember Baldur's Gate 3 isn't "family-friendly" at all.

In my opinion D&D is the most politically correct RPG and most family-friendly among the titles no-focused into TTRPGs for children.

The franchise of Dark Sun could continue in other ways, maybe more novels, or some survival videogame. The crunch part could be recovered and updated. The true challengue for the return of DS is limits for the crunch. It is not ready to be added new elements from the last editions, for example new species and classes. Would you allow monks in the Athasian tablelands, and totemist shamans, divine minds, ardents, lurks, or elans, maenads, dromites and xephs? I would bet here WotC would rather to start from zero with a new IP as spiritual succesor.

If the alternate timelines are canon in the current D&D multiverse maybe there is other Dark Sun where the cleasing war didn't start because Athas become the battlefield between Vecna and Tharizdum, the elder elemental eye.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Funny that I grabbed a bunch of minis to make Pregens for newbie players at my FLGS and I've got these:

1715926746661.png
1715926777339.png
1715926795659.png

... Look familiar? I'm not a D&D deep lore kinda guy, so I had no idea that they were anyone in particular. I've made them into Iconics, but I made them up. It just means that this cover has some of the characters that my new players are playing on it!

TheGlen

Explorer
I understand the legitimacy of selling historical archives as-is, such as Orcs of Thar.

The question is. If the Guild opens the Mystara setting for new fanmade content, a new product that simply quotes Orcs of Thar can violate the Guild sensitivity policies, nevermind a new product elaborating it.

How would an open Mystara work in this official Guild site?
Like every other setting. You dig deep enough in any of them you're going to find something people find offensive. They opened up Ravenloft despite completely disavowing their take on the Vistani. Not to mention villains like the Gentleman Caller. The setting has over a hundred books People have a problem with largely two of them with drums on fire Mountain being the other one and all you do is change the art on that one.

KYRON45

Adventurer
"We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it."
Abraham Lincoln

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you're looking for."
I'm not sure who said this...

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
"We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it."
Abraham Lincoln
The problem was the lack of nobility − there are places that did give offense.

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you're looking for."
I'm not sure who said this...
This is exactly the attitude that if among fans will prevent the Guild from opening up Mystara.

KYRON45

Adventurer
The problem was the lack of nobility − there are places that did give offense.

This is exactly the attitude that if among fans will prevent the Guild from opening up Mystara.
I'm just a guy reading forum posts. I don't decide who writes what or who sells what or who is offended by what.
When something bothers me I don't engage. Complaining about what I don't like gets me nothing. Not buying things I don't like gets the publisher nothing.

Take from that what you will.

TheGlen

Explorer
I hope this was signal Mystara was unlocked in DMGuild. This should include Hollow World and Red Steel/Savage Coast.

* I could understand Dark Sun for the current standars may be "for mature audiences" when Hasbro wants D&D earns prestige as a family-friendly brand. My suggestion is to create some special seal like Black-Dog by White Wolf, for titles style "Book of Vile Darkness" or "Book of Exalted Deeds". We should remember Baldur's Gate 3 isn't "family-friendly" at all.

In my opinion D&D is the most politically correct RPG and most family-friendly among the titles no-focused into TTRPGs for children.

The franchise of Dark Sun could continue in other ways, maybe more novels, or some survival videogame. The crunch part could be recovered and updated. The true challengue for the return of DS is limits for the crunch. It is not ready to be added new elements from the last editions, for example new species and classes. Would you allow monks in the Athasian tablelands, and totemist shamans, divine minds, ardents, lurks, or elans, maenads, dromites and xephs? I would bet here WotC would rather to start from zero with a new IP as spiritual succesor.

If the alternate timelines are canon in the current D&D multiverse maybe there is other Dark Sun where the cleasing war didn't start because Athas become the battlefield between Vecna and Tharizdum, the elder elemental eye.
I think Dark Sun's problems are more mechanical than anything else for 5e. Wizards just tried repeatedly to make psychic rules but they've never been able to come up with anything comprehensive enough to handle what dark sun would require.

The other issue is that they expect all settings to be open to everything. Dark Sun is quite the opposite of that half of the races are extinct. The latest book puts werewolves in Dragonlance their latest adventure puts werewolves in dragonlance, where they never existed in the setting before except for one very badly received novel.

Then you got to address the fact that Dark Sun doesn't do magic anywhere on the same scale as 5e. You're not going to have Martial classes walking around randomly casting spells. But you can't have dark sun without the defiler versus preserver story element.

Then you got the difficulty issue. 5e has a reputation of being pillow fisted. Dark Sun has the reputation of being the Dark souls of DnD. Nothing wrong with that, dark sun players brag about how their setting is by far the deadliest. But for people that are used to three death saves and a whole bunch of healing that's going to be a difficult sell.

Fortunately Mystara has none of these issues which is why it's the best D&D setting as determined by science

Last edited:

Remove ads