• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Monster Slayer ranger

HorrorRogue

Villager
Hey

Looking for advice on making an Monster Slayer Ranger. Preferably a STRanger version if possible. Also trying to come up with a backstory.

He was going to be Lawful Evil but no evil PCs for this campaign so I'm going with Lawful Neutral.

Stalker0

Legend
Hey

Looking for advice on making an Monster Slayer Ranger. Preferably a STRanger version if possible. Also trying to come up with a backstory.

He was going to be Lawful Evil but no evil PCs for this campaign so I'm going with Lawful Neutral.
This might need a move to the dnd general forum.

So, lets start with the basics:

First, ask your DM if you can take all the tasha's cauldron's optional abilities.

Foes slayer works well with your level 3 slayer's prey.

Then you should ask yourself if you want to be rather tanky or very offensive.

Since both abilities are once per turn, the question is, if you want dual wielding or twf. I'd probably go with two weapon fighting.

Then, I'd probably be variant human with two weapon fighting feat using two longswords.

My stat array would be:

STR 15 + 1
DEX 13 + 1
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 8

Using scale mail will give you a good AC of 17, +5 to hit, 2d8 +6 +1d4 + 1d6 damage if every attack hit at level 3.

I would probably not cast hunter's mark, as you need 2 bonus actions to get your abilities going. By then the combat might be over.
I'd also have a javelin ready to throw in the first round of combat.

One spell I like is longstrider, as it will help with positioning and speed for one hour and without concentration.
Absorb elements is never to underestimate.
Snare or alarm for the night.

So that is my recommendation. Have fun!

Horwath

Legend
How to make STRanger work?

New ability;
Ranger juggernaut.
You are proficient with heavy armor.
You ignore stealth penalties of all armor.

How to make STRanger work?

New ability;
Ranger juggernaut.
You are proficient with heavy armor.
You ignore stealth penalties of all armor.

This is just ranger bashing. They work fine enough with medium armor. At least that is not the main issue with the class.

Last edited:

ChameleonX

Explorer
Hey

I once made a Firbolg Ranger with the Fey Wanderer subclass. I didn't play it long, but it was pretty fun.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Great Weapon or Polearm Master for Feat, defensive style for the +1ac
I like polemaster with a glaive and get the bonus attack (though it does forgo Hunters Mark)

Great Weapon or Polearm Master for Feat, defensive style for the +1ac
I like polemaster with a glaive and get the bonus attack (though it does forgo Hunters Mark)
About the same as twf with longswords. Starts out with more damage at level 1. Less at 2 and 3, but with the option of using great weapon mastery at some point. Maybe at level 4, as a str based character is less pressed to max the main stat as early as possible.

I think I'd stil prefer twf as it is a bit more flexible. That opens up a different feat choice, that might be more flavourful. Depending on the party composition, ritual caster is a neat one.
You just have to swap con and wis to fulfill the stat requirement.

Horwath

Legend
This is just ranger bashing. They work fine enough with medium armor. At least that is not the main issue with the class.
Oh please, for Str ranger you need to max your str asap, you need atleast 14 con and wis. Where will you get 14 Dex? Best you can hope is 12 to get decent stealth with expertise.

Oh please, for Str ranger you need to max your str asap, you need atleast 14 con and wis. Where will you get 14 Dex? Best you can hope is 12 to get decent stealth with expertise.
I showed it in the post above. Reasing helps. Of course you can afford 14 dex. And no, you don't have to increase str ASAP.

Not everyone plays overly optimized. 5e is forgiving enough to have fun with various builds. Actually it is more fun that way.
Optimizing for a few points of damage is self inflicted pain.

Remove ads