• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LOST CITADEL 5E RPG Coming From Green Ronin

The Lost Citadel is a shared world horror setting. Launched in 2012, it was based on an idea of Jaym Gates, CA Suleiman and Ari Marmell, and features various branches - music, stories, art, and, now, a tabletop roleplaying game. Green Ronin will be producing the game, which will be a D&D 5th Edition game, and is slated for Winter 2018. The dark fantasy setting is based in Zileksa, "a land ravaged by death and undeath, where all that’s left of civilization has gathered behind the walls of the last remaining city of the living." Green Ronin is, of course, known for the tabletop RPGs Mutants & Masterminds, A Song of Ice and Fire, Blue Rose, Dragon Age, and for producing the 5E adventure Out of the Abyss for WotC. [Edit - I accidentally missed one of the creators from the paragraph above; apologies to Jaym Gates!]

The Lost Citadel is a shared world horror setting. Launched in 2012, it was based on an idea of Jaym Gates, CA Suleiman and Ari Marmell, and features various branches - music, stories, art, and, now, a tabletop roleplaying game. Green Ronin will be producing the game, which will be a D&D 5th Edition game, and is slated for Winter 2018. The dark fantasy setting is based in Zileksa, "a land ravaged by death and undeath, where all that’s left of civilization has gathered behind the walls of the last remaining city of the living." Green Ronin is, of course, known for the tabletop RPGs Mutants & Masterminds, A Song of Ice and Fire, Blue Rose, Dragon Age, and for producing the 5E adventure Out of the Abyss for WotC. [Edit - I accidentally missed one of the creators from the paragraph above; apologies to Jaym Gates!]

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 11.17.10.png

Here's the full announcement:

SEATTLE, WA (01/24/17): Green Ronin Publishing announced today that it has signed a licensing agreement to release a tabletop roleplaying game sourcebook based on The Lost Citadel, a transmedia shared world. The dark fantasy RPG will draw players into the setting of Zileksa, a land ravaged by death and undeath, where all that’s left of civilization has gathered behind the walls of the last remaining city of the living. The announcement was made by Chris Pramas, president of Green Ronin, and C.A. Suleiman, editor of The Lost Citadel.

“We are eager to bring a new dark fantasy setting to roleplayers and to offer Fifth Edition gamers a world they haven’t seen before,” said Green Ronin President Chris Pramas, “Lost Citadel is a perfect follow up to our work on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Dragon Age.”

“I came to know The Lost Citadel as a backer of the fiction anthology,” added Green Ronin General Manager Nicole Lindroos. “As soon as I saw it I recognized the potential inherent in the setting. I couldn’t be more pleased not only to bring Lost Citadel to roleplaying, but to have C.A. Suleiman himself on board as developer.”

“Since the Lost Citadel project went live, people have been asking about when it would come to gaming, and I’m excited to tell them that the moment has arrived,” said Suleiman. “As both a dark fantasy setting and a concept that’s expressly inclusive of women, I can’t think of a better fit for The Lost Citadel than Green Ronin, publisher of A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying and the Blue Rose roleplaying game. If their track record is any indicator, this could be the start of something big.”

Work is now underway on the first book, Lost Citadel Roleplaying, which introduces the setting and establishes its core rules and themes. It is scheduled for release in Winter 2018. All books in the series will use the Fifth Edition rules, but plans are in the works to offer fans of other popular RPG systems the means to play Lost Citadel games using those systems, too.
Save
Save
SaveSave
SaveSave

GlassJaw

Hero
This setting does sound really cool. Did anyone back the Kickstarter? How's the book? I tried looking up where to buy it but didn't have much luck.

Sounds like The Walking Dead meets Ravenloft. Is that accurate? I'd love to see some rules for gear and equipment in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Aldarc

Legend
I'm with you on non-magical settings/rules. Because of bounded accuracy and lower reliance on magic and magic items, core 5E isn't that far removed from a low-magic system already. If you haven't yet, I do recommend checking out the 5E Middle-Earth book. While I was for a slightly different direction in some areas, it's a great start.

I think Grim Tales needs a 5E update...:cool:
Along with d20 Modern, upon which Grim Tales was built.

ChapolimX

Explorer
OGL stuff as a whole hasn't really exploded - there are a few bits, but DMsG pretty much dominates the third part market. There's this, Middle Earth from C7, Midgard from Kobold, ZEITGEIST coming soon from ENP, I think there's a Scarred Lands setting for 5E, and a handful of others, but there really isn't a lot of it.

I hope to see lots more though!

Yes, there is a Scarred Lands.
And there's also a Primeval Thule Campaign Setting, which was before the 5e SRD, but it is still an 5e OGL (a work around with the 3th edition SRD).
I guess there are other products in that situation.

I tried looking up where to buy it but didn't have much luck.

While KS backers have received their copies, some behind-the-scenes issues delayed the "for sale to the public" print run. It's coming, though. :)

Sounds like The Walking Dead meets Ravenloft. Is that accurate? I'd love to see some rules for gear and equipment in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Sort of. The idea was to see what happens when a worldwide catastrophe--the rise of the dead, in this case--turns what was originally a standard Tolkien-esque high fantasy world in a grim, Moorcock- or Thieves World-style lower fantasy world. So while some of the stories are about the undead, they're barely a background element in others that instead examine what's happened to the cultures and races that have all but collapsed and been forced to gather in this one final city.

Not an official representative of GR, so this is not a formal/official answer.

But given the tentative schedule, and given the planned timing of the Kickstarter, I would say early 2018, not late.

Do not hold me to this, and certainly don't hold GR to this. I'm extrapolating, at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAS

First Post
Ari's right. The Kickstarter should be launching in May/June, with the core material being finished by year's end. That's the plan, anyway. :cool:

*crosses fingers*

Not an official representative of GR, so this is not a formal/official answer.

But given the tentative schedule, and given the planned timing of the Kickstarter, I would say early 2018, not late.

Remove ads

Remove ads