• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kickstarter Deal-Breakers (Poll)

What made you decide not to back that Kickstarter project?

• This is the creator's very first crowdfunding project.

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • The crowdfunding page is slapdash or poorly-written.

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • The comment section is full of complaints and/or hateful people.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • The creator's own personal reputation.

Votes: 72 60.5%
  • The creator's fulfillment history with other crowdfunding projects.

Votes: 84 70.6%
  • The shipping costs for the project.

Votes: 45 37.8%
  • The shipping schedule for the project.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • The use of AI artwork.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • The use of AI writing.

Votes: 61 51.3%
  • The product is exclusively for 5E D&D

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The product isn't exclusively for 5E D&D.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • The product has already met its goal.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • The product is struggling to meet its goal.

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • There are too many stretch goals.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • There aren't enough stretch goals.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Lack of add-ons and accessories.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • The product does not offer electronic/PDF format.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • The product does not offer physical/print format.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Other, I'll explain below.

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • NEW: The cost of the project (not including shipping)

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • NEW: The product didn't have a usable demo/preview.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • NEW: It's nothing personal; I just don't do crowdfunding at all.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • NEW: The product is for a system/game/edition that I don't like.

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • NEW: The quality of other products by the same creator.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • NEW: The product isn't made by one of the specific creators/companies I support.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • NEW: Unrelated stretch goals (like hats and stickers being offered for a book project).

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • NEW: The product is of no use to me.

Votes: 23 19.3%

DragonLancer

Adventurer
There were a few I ticked but I also ticked Other. That Other, is that they don't take the money there and then. They wait until the goal is reached and then do it. However, I have that money now (I'm minimum wage for reference) and might not in three or four weeks for whatever reason. If Kickstarters took my dosh when I committed, I'd probably be willing to do more of them.

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
A big one for me is how far into design/development the product is. I will never again back a Kickstarter where the manuscript isn’t complete and at least through editing. I can understand the need for the Kickstarter funds to do things like purchasing art, contracting production and getting professional layout. However, there is simply no excuse for a book to not be complete and through editing before you start the Kickstarter. I have backed a couple hundred projects over the years, of the ones that have failed to fulfilled every single one of those projects was one where the writer/publisher hadn’t completed a manuscript or had a workable product before they went live on Kickstarter. This is a problem that isn’t just an issue for small developers, I’ve seen plenty of large publishers do the exact same thing. Finish your manuscripts! Get them edited. Have them ready for publishing before you ask for money.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
There were a few I ticked but I also ticked Other. That Other, is that they don't take the money there and then. They wait until the goal is reached and then do it. However, I have that money now (I'm minimum wage for reference) and might not in three or four weeks for whatever reason. If Kickstarters took my dosh when I committed, I'd probably be willing to do more of them.
You could wait until the final day of the campaign.

Thomas Shey

Legend
A big one for me is how far into design/development the product is. I will never again back a Kickstarter where the manuscript isn’t complete and at least through editing. I can understand the need for the Kickstarter funds to do things like purchasing art, contracting production and getting professional layout. However, there is simply no excuse for a book to not be complete and through editing before you start the Kickstarter.

Eh. I find it a valid tool to find out if there's enough market for the product before you bother to do the work.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
"I won't show the mechanics until after the campaign closes, because I don't want people to argue with me about them."

"We can't pull full-size images of what's in our art book on our campaign page because we don't have the rights to do so."

"Everyone on BookTok knows what that term means. We don't need to spell it out for the wider community of gamers."

🤷‍♂️

It's like there's something in the water this month.

Thomas Shey

Legend
"I won't show the mechanics until after the campaign closes, because I don't want people to argue with me about them."

"We can't pull full-size images of what's in our art book on our campaign page because we don't have the rights to do so."

"Everyone on BookTok knows what that term means. We don't need to spell it out for the wider community of gamers."

🤷‍♂️

It's like there's something in the water this month.

Good gods. That's all been in recent RPG KSes?

Remove ads