• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Has anyone converted Liberation of Geoff to 3E?

Kalendraf

Explorer
One of the campaigns I'm DM'ing is using the Against the Giants: Liberation of Geoff campaign book. We started this before 3rd edition, but now have converted the campaign to 3rd edition. For the most part, the conversion looks fairly straight-forward given the fact that most of the monsters translate directly into 3rd edition equivalents and are listed in the Monster Manual. However, there are a few beasties in the booklet that aren't listed - most of them are giant-subtypes and so forth. While I could try to convert these by myself, I figure that work might already have been done by someone else.

Has anyone done a conversion of this yet? I figure I'm not the only DM that got has wanted to run this under 3E rules. If you have a link or something to point me to, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

qstor

Adventurer
Most of the Giant subtypes are in the creature catalog here on this site. I also converted the slow shadow and that is added to the creature catalog as well. I would just use regular cloud giant stats for the Saukut (sp). The shadow dragon is in Monsters of Faerun.

The rest of the module should be easy to convert. I would check out www.rpgageoff.com for added campaign info. The Geoff Triad has used parts of the module for the basis of the regional Living Greyhawk campaign which of course is the best in the US! ha! :)

I have been using the module in a home game. E-mail me off boards if you want some more info.

Thanks

Mike

Kalendraf

Explorer
Conversion notes

I took your advice and checked on the converted creatures. The party is currently tackling the area in and around "The Lea" which required updated creature stats for Verbeeg Giant-kin. The updates seem to be in line with what a Verbeeg should have for power and such in 3rd edition. Considering they are basically a step up from ogres, this seems to be about right.

The one thing I'm a bit confused by is the fact that they only qualify for CR3 monsters. I guess it makes some sense since Ogres are only consider CR2. However, the damage they can dish out along with their relatively high AC makes them very challenging for that level. With AC19, +9 with their melee attacks and damage of 2d6+9, that makes them extremely powerful opponents. The party of 6 characters averaging about 6th level right now faced 2 adult Verbeegs and 1 young (treated as a bugbear). The 2 adult verbeegs were quite close to killing 2 of the characters. No critical hits or ambushes, just a straight up fight in which the party had a solid upper hand to start things with. +9 on attacks basically turns them into a 50% or better chance of dealing damage to party members since the best AC in the group is 20. Discounting the young Verbeeg in this encounter which was not a factor, the 2 "CR3" Verbeeg would be about an EL4 encounter which should be quite easy for a 6th level party. However, it taxed them pretty heavily with the cleric pitching all of his 3rd level spells and a few 2nd level ones to keep the fighters alive. And the wizard burned a few of his better spells as well. Seems like a CR3 rating here doesn't match what the playtesting revealed in this case.

Otherwise, looking ahead, I don't see any major problems besides the possible lethalness of some of the situations. Giants in 3E are "a lot" tougher than their 2E versions. At 5th level, this party was having a cake-walk against Hill giants, but now they almost die to stuff like that. Party levels likely need to be a bit higher than they did in the past. A 5th to 6th level party facing a handful of giants had a fighting chance. Now it's not as easy. So just be careful not to go overboard unless you intend to make it really hard for your party.

qstor

Adventurer
Kalendraf - Did you check out the Geoff site? There is also a write up of Hochoch on the web somewhere that is pretty good with maps and such.

Mike

Kalendraf

Explorer
Can you point me to the "Geoff site" link? I would love to check it out. We just resumed playing this group after a long summer break, and any help for stuff around Hochoch would be very useful to me.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Also, if anyone is interested in progress of this campaign, let me know. I can post some of the things I've added or modified for my campaign. I really love the flexibility of this module. It leaves a lot of areas undeveloped making it very easy to drop in side adventures in between assaults on the various giant encampments. The group seems to enjoy it a lot as well.

PS: I still think Verbeeg may almost be too powerful to merit that CR3 rating. A group of 4 Verbeeg + 2 Ogres nearly decimated the party of six 6th level characters on Sunday.

Greyhawk_DM

First Post
Kalendraf said:
Also, if anyone is interested in progress of this campaign, let me know. I can post some of the things I've added or modified for my campaign. I really love the flexibility of this module. It leaves a lot of areas undeveloped making it very easy to drop in side adventures in between assaults on the various giant encampments. The group seems to enjoy it a lot as well.

PS: I still think Verbeeg may almost be too powerful to merit that CR3 rating. A group of 4 Verbeeg + 2 Ogres nearly decimated the party of six 6th level characters on Sunday.

I would like to see your progress.:)

Thank you...

qstor

Adventurer
The site is www.rpgageoff.com

There are summaries of the various modules that the LG Triad and others have written as well as NPC's.

You might try the Grand March web site too. Orlane site of N1 Cult of the Reptile God is across the river from Hochoch.

Mike

Remove ads