• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

Thomas Shey

Legend
Ah. Is that why I'm getting notifications telling me that people quoted a post of mine, but can't find the thread that its happening in?

I didn't realise that this was a thing.

Yeah, had that happen not too long ago and it considerably confused me at first before I figured out what had happened.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I feel like you are arguing against some internal image of what we do, irrelevant of what I say.

I already told you, more than once now, that we don't generally use number of a blocks as a metric in day-to-day operations.

So, why are you trying to school me on how to not use it?
If you don’t use it that way and agree it shouldn’t be then that’s where I’m at. We agree!

Maybe I’m misreading your comments but the later (it shouldn’t be used that way) doesn't seem accurate of your views.
My evidence and proof for... what exactly? Justifying our use of a metric that (again) we don't use?
See above.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yes, the board behavior changed recently to not let you into threads if the OP has you ignored. It was discussed more in detail in this other thread: Thread Not Found (Unless I Log Out)

Seems like it was an unintended change for ENWorld, but not one that is easy to fix.

Its not to weird if you never see the thread at all, but its a little odd when a thread you've been participating in effectively vanishes under your feet.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Its not to weird if you never see the thread at all, but its a little odd when a thread you've been participating in effectively vanishes under your feet.
I believe the response to this is, "Not a priority. Maybe don't get blocked".

I could be wrong, but that is how I read it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Question for you and others that use it this way. How often do you block/ignore the person raising points you mostly agree with when compared to those you don’t?

One of the two people I had blocked was like that. I agreed with them more often than not, but they were pointlessly abrasive and I decided I just didn't want to deal with that any more (and keep in mind, I'm not always the best natured person on this board, so that required a pretty high bar).

Probably unsurprisingly, they're gone now.

Thomas Shey

Legend
While true (I went to some of the Boston Gamedays way back when), that's not really the point.

I have never been in the same physical space as Morrus and Danny. Never even been on a voice call with either of them. Is anyone going to be so presumptuous as to assert that I don't know these people? No? Then, clearly, you can get to know people through online interaction as well as meeting physically.

As a notable data point here--I met my wife in a virtual space, and we knew each other for months and got quite close before we ever heard each other's voice.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As a notable data point here--I met my wife in a virtual space, and we knew each other for months and got quite close before we ever heard each other's voice.

That is on top of how you don't really have to "know" a person to form a clique with them anyway. You can band together with relative strangers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
(and keep in mind, I'm not always the best natured person on this board, so that required a pretty high bar).

It may be relevant to note that the awareness Thomas Shey demonstrates underlying this is not the most common thing. We run into many cases with posters who feel their own behavior is just fine, thank you, but when someone else does the same thing, it is intolerable.

This sounds like it could be willfully hypocritical behavior, but is actually typical human stuff. In fact, it is neurology - broadly speaking, humans use different parts of their brain to judge their own behavior, and other people's behavior. Checking to make the two judgements match, and correct if they aren't, is an extra cognitive step you have to build into habit.

This is why "giving them a taste of their own medicine" approaches to correction of problem behaviors often fail.

Thomas Shey

Legend
It may be relevant to note that the awareness Thomas Shey demonstrates underlying this is not the most common thing. We run into many cases with posters who feel their own behavior is just fine, thank you, but when someone else does the same thing, it is intolerable.

I'm just a little old to be oblivious to my character flaws here. I make some attempt to limit them, but I'm not always good at staying on the proper side of the line. Which is why the times you and Danny have had to take me behind the shed I haven't given you much of an argument for the most part.

This sounds like it could be willfully hypocritical behavior, but is actually typical human stuff. In fact, it is neurology - broadly speaking, humans use different parts of their brain to judge their own behavior, and other people's behavior. Checking to make the two judgements match, and correct if they aren't, is an extra cognitive step you have to build into habit.

And of course if the situation has triggered your irritation, you're less likely to do that. Its one reason I'm very slow about pulling the trigger on blocks. In both cases it took repeated incidents before I did it.

Remove ads