• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The D&D Cartoon Heroes In The 2024 PHB

Art by Dmitry Burmak.

IMG_3570.jpeg

Art by Dmitry Burmak​

I would love if they did a remake of the cartoon. Better graphics etc. I don’t ever want a live action version of it though

You could do it like IT where the kids now adults have to go back!!

Chaosmancer

Legend
Or they could just come up with their own thing? You could keep the same premise, kids from our world trapped in a D&D world looking for a way home, but make new characters, new stories, etc. Maybe even have the original characters show up in small parts, but really make something new.

I just don't get why people want to rehash old stuff into "modern" terms. The old stuff is great on its own, so why remake it? Look at all the movies nowadays that are remakes of older movies!?

I'm sure it seems odd to take this position to a lot of people, especially here, where one might argue why remake D&D if the early editions were "great on their own"? All I can say is the game is a living, breathing, growing, changing thing. But stories, art, film, etc. are different, I don't see them as something that changes, but should be appreciated for what they are, whenever and however they are made.

I'd be good with either something remaking the old characters or making new ones.

Frankly, the stories HAVE to change, you can't just slap a fresh animation on the old story-boards and have it go. That would be horrid. But I don't think there is any inherent problem with having the same cast and personalities, just updated to the modern parlance.

Even if you use the same characters, the old story won't happen again.

Stormonu

Legend
Hank is going to find out real quick that's not how you hold a drawstring second he fires that arrow
Must be missing something as it doesn't look unnatural to me. There's several styles to holding the arrow/drawstring - I think he's using English style, not American though.

<EDIT> Oh, ouch, I think I see it now - his left arm is crossed under the string. That'd be a hell of a slap on a regular bow (though, his is energy...)

Last edited:

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
Must be missing something as it doesn't look unnatural to me. There's several styles to holding the arrow/drawstring - I think he's using English style, not American though.
I'm seeing it as he's holding it over the outside of his forearm--his right thumb is facing toward the left of his body--so if he were to raise and shoot with the bow perpendicular to the ground, his arms would actually be crossed, and the arrow would be outside his wrist.

ETA: I mean, NOT that shooting in a traditional stance has EVER stopped a fantasy archer.

Last edited:

TheGlen

Explorer

<EDIT> Oh, ouch, I think I see it now - his right arm is crossed under the string. That'd be a hell of a slap on a regular bow (though, his is energy...)
The drawstring should be on the inside of his arm not on the outside. Otherwise that bow is going to take off a layer of skin when he fires it.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Or they could just come up with their own thing? You could keep the same premise, kids from our world trapped in a D&D world looking for a way home, but make new characters, new stories, etc. Maybe even have the original characters show up in small parts, but really make something new.

I don't think we're that far apart.

I think the original characters in another world is a great trope (I may have even started a thread here on ENW at one point).
I just don't get why people want to rehash old stuff into "modern" terms. The old stuff is great on its own, so why remake it? Look at all the movies nowadays that are remakes of older movies!?

I am confused by this paragraph, it seems the opposite of the paragraph above where you said "make new characters, new stories, etc".

Also where we might not agree is that the 80's cartoon is "great". Looked at through my 2024 eyes, it's not great.

I'm sure it seems odd to take this position to a lot of people, especially here, where one might argue why remake D&D if the early editions were "great on their own"? All I can say is the game is a living, breathing, growing, changing thing. But stories, art, film, etc. are different, I don't see them as something that changes, but should be appreciated for what they are, whenever and however they are made.
I'm not saying remake the old stories but with new art. I'm saying give the premise/IP to some amazing creators and create new stories with the old seeds. Make this YA/PG-13, not kids/G or PG stuff.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads