• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

newbies guide for Fallout 4

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
getting back to actual tips,if you use three of your guess while hacking there are ways to removed either duds or reset your guesses. You'll want to look for things like the highlighted section, or basically matching of [], {}, <> in the same row
View attachment 360349

Yeah, regular old round brackets work too. I tend to only try one guess before going bracket-hunting, because there's no guarantee you'll get that tries reset.
Of course if you run out of brackets and guesses you can always back out and reset the whole thing, there's basically never a reason to block out a computer

Gradine

Conceptually they're not bad, but I have a big problem with their methods. To me, the way they give the people they help new lives isn't much different from killing them.
There's major plot holes.

Basically the kill the people they're supposed to save then they blow up the only known way for them to reproduce.
Yeah no, this ain't it at all. Synths want to live as human; they can't do that if they know that they're synths. They don't want to be synths, and they don't want there to be synths. It's a horrific experience. What they are giving up is nothing compared to what they are getting in return. It's not really death of any sort because until they get reset, what they have isn't really life.

Railroad also has the best companion so :cool:

Kaodi

Hero
You don't strictly need to craft either it's a convenience thing.

You just need to find or buy the weapon with the modification you want, take it off and put it on the weapon you like.

It's harder doing this with energy weapons and DLC weapons.
I am not sure the difference between modding and crafting in this context extends beyond semantics. They use the same workbenches, and the same menus. I suppose "crafting" requires resources, but from a labour standpoint it is a bit of a toss up between looking for the mod you want and looking for ingredients for the mod you want. Definitely saves on perk point though not to make the mods yourself.

The only thing I have not really done in this game though is survival mode. I am just not thrilled with the idea of only being able to save by resting at a bed - the other mechanics I would totally be interested in. And I only play vanilla so I cannot get the mod that just adds regular saving to survival mode.

MarkB

Legend
I am not sure the difference between modding and crafting in this context extends beyond semantics. They use the same workbenches, and the same menus. I suppose "crafting" requires resources, but from a labour standpoint it is a bit of a toss up between looking for the mod you want and looking for ingredients for the mod you want. Definitely saves on perk point though not to make the mods yourself.
That last part is the difference - by salvaging mods from found or purchased weapons, you gain access to mods that are beyond your character's ability to craft.
The only thing I have not really done in this game though is survival mode. I am just not thrilled with the idea of only being able to save by resting at a bed - the other mechanics I would totally be interested in. And I only play vanilla so I cannot get the mod that just adds regular saving to survival mode.
Yeah, that's the real sticking point for me. I really like the concept of Fallout 4's survival mode and would be happy to engage with most of it, but I need to be able to save and exit on my own terms, not go hunting for a bed.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah no, this ain't it at all. Synths want to live as human; they can't do that if they know that they're synths. They don't want to be synths, and they don't want there to be synths. It's a horrific experience. What they are giving up is nothing compared to what they are getting in return. It's not really death of any sort because until they get reset, what they have isn't really life.

Railroad also has the best companion so :cool:

The reset is essentially murdering the synth though.

They wipe you mind, give the synth a new personality. It would be like someone wiping your mind and someone else gets to use your body. Anything that makes you well you is gone.

And their solution also destroys the one place where new synths can come from.

Murder and genocide is basically their end goal if you side with them.

Gradine

They wipe you mind, give the synth a new personality. It would be like someone wiping your mind and someone else gets to use your body. Anything that makes you well you is gone.

And their solution also destroys the one place where new synths can come from.

Murder and genocide is basically their end goal if you side with them.
What you're missing is that synths are keenly aware that they were built, made for a purpose, made for servitude. Most don't have personalities to begin with, and those that do have them programmed for the specific purposes of The Institute. What they have isn't life. What they are getting is.

They don't want to be created. They don't want any more to be created like that. Liberation means finally getting to live as a human, which they simply cannot do as long as they are aware of how they were made.

Zardnaar

Legend
What you're missing is that synths are keenly aware that they were built, made for a purpose, made for servitude. Most don't have personalities to begin with, and those that do have them programmed for the specific purposes of The Institute. What they have isn't life. What they are getting is.

They don't want to be created. They don't want any more to be created like that. Liberation means finally getting to live as a human, which they simply cannot do as long as they are aware of how they were made.

There's also issues tge wires may nit always be voluntary.

And other synths do have distinct personalities. You can also transfer their personalities into new bodies.

But one size fits all reset/wipe then blow up the only source of new ones.

The fanaticism is the problem. All the Factions are flawed the Railroad ending isn't a very well regarded one along with the minute men. They at least are mostly good if ineffective.

Railroad mission/story also isn't that much fun. Minutemen comes down to of you like the building aspect or not.

MarkB

Legend

Literally demonstrated when you place Curie into a synth's body. Sure, that synth's personality was already destroyed, but even if it hadn't been, the resulting being would be Curie, not the Synth.

I never got that narrative from any synth I interacted with in the game. At all points, mind-wiping synths was presented as simply a means of making them easier to disguise within the general population. It just felt like lazy writing - "well, we did it this way with that one synth in Fallout 3, so now we'll make it SOP for all synths."

Zardnaar

Legend
Literally demonstrated when you place Curie into a synth's body. Sure, that synth's personality was already destroyed, but even if it hadn't been, the resulting being would be Curie, not the Synth.

I never got that narrative from any synth I interacted with in the game. At all points, mind-wiping synths was presented as simply a means of making them easier to disguise within the general population. It just felt like lazy writing - "well, we did it this way with that one synth in Fallout 3, so now we'll make it SOP for all synths."

Yeah giving the synths the option and means of procreation would have been the better idea. Inert new bodies if required.

So they either seize the institute or change the institute.

Did not like their missions that much either.

And yeah Curie is a free willed synth that is still her. So the Railroad cones across as anywhere between incompetent or worse tgan the institute who at least are honest about their villainy.

MarkB

Legend
So the Railroad cones across as anywhere between incompetent or worse tgan the institute who at least are honest about their villainy.
The Institute are still worse. The self-delusion and hypocrisy of the same scientists who are trying to make synths as perfectly human as possible also refusing to consider their development of free will as being anything other than a malfunction is just infuriating.

Remove ads