• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

newbies guide for Fallout 4

pukunui

Legend
I'm pretty sure I've assigned Mama Murphy to farming before. Ring the town bell, go into Build mode, and look at each settler. You'll be able to see which job they're assigned to, if any.
OK. I created a bell so I’ll try ringing it.

EDIT: That worked! Didn't get Mama Murphy out of her chair, but it did bring in a settler who wasn't assigned any jobs, and I was able to put her on farming duty.

Last edited:

Thanks. Sounds a bit fiddly.

😮
The chance of a settlement being attacked is calculated as follows:

Base%=2+Food+Water10
{\displaystyle {\text{Base}}\%=2+{\frac {{\text{Food}}+{\text{Water}}}{10}}}

Reduction%=Population2+Defense
{\displaystyle {\text{Reduction}}\%={\frac {\text{Population}}{2}}+{\text{Defense}}}

Attack chance=max(Base%−Reduction%,2%)
{\displaystyle {\text{Attack chance}}=\max({\text{Base}}\%-{\text{Reduction}}\%,2\%)}

The final attack chance can never go below 2%. The food and water in these formulas also include that stored in the workbench, meaning that the attack chance may increase for settlements with excess production.

Example: If a settlement has 7 food, 6 water, 2 defense, and a population of 5, the attack chance is calculated as follows:

Base=2+7+610=3.3
{\displaystyle {\text{Base}}=2+{\frac {7+6}{10}}=3.3}

Reduction=52+2=4.5
{\displaystyle {\text{Reduction}}={\frac {5}{2}}+2=4.5}

Attack chance=max(3.3%−4.5%,2%)=max(−1.2%,2%)=2%
{\displaystyle {\text{Attack chance}}=\max(3.3\%-4.5\%,2\%)=\max(-1.2\%,2\%)=2\%}

Exception: a settlement with no population will not be attacked, regardless of the quantity of water or food stored at the settlement.

The defense of a settlement without player intervention is determined by comparing the defense strength (defense rating + population) + a random number between 1 and 100 and the attack strength ((food + water in the settlement) +/-50%) + a random number between 1 and 100. The defense strength is capped at 100, so it's not useful to have more than (100 - population) defense when not responding to settlement attacks. The amount of food + water and the attack strength is also capped at 100, so the maximum attack strength is 50-100 (100 +/-50% = 50-150, capped at 100). When the random numbers are added to the attack strength and defense strength, the total attack value is capped at 150 but not the defense which can go up to 200. This means that high defense is more likely to win, but even when it's maxed out there is still a fair (30.6%, roughly 1/3) chance to lose to an attack on a "rich" settlement.

Zardnaar

Legend
OK I got myself a Vaut-Tec Population Management System for Sanctuary. It says I have 5 farmers, 1 scavenger, 2 guards, and 1 unemployed person, but there are no jobs available for that person. Would that unemployed person be Mama Murphy, since she just sits in her chair all the time?

Mama Murphy and codsworth can be hard to pin down on jobs. They tend to wander.

pukunui

Legend
Mama Murphy and codsworth can be hard to pin down on jobs. They tend to wander.
My Mama Murphy just sits in her chair all the time. When I look at her in build mode, it shows she has an assignment, but I don’t know what it is. It’s a silhouette of the vault boy waving.

Zardnaar

Legend
My Mama Murphy just sits in her chair all the time. When I look at her in build mode, it shows she has an assignment, but I don’t know what it is. It’s a silhouette of the vault boy waving.

Basically don't count on her or codsworth to do much of anything job related.

For seeds you can check your settlers btw you want razor grain. The rest of the seeds can be found at Greygarden. Also check early game vendors.

pukunui

Legend
So I finally made it to Diamond City, and I befriended Piper and added her as a companion and have both her and Dogmeat but no, Dogmeat got sent home. Is there a way to have both Dogmeat and a human companion?

Zardnaar

Legend
So I finally made it to Diamond City, and I befriended Piper and added her as a companion and have both her and Dogmeat but no, Dogmeat got sent home. Is there a way to have both Dogmeat and a human companion?

Dogmeats a meh companion outside the lone wanderer perk.

Companions tend to get in the way and run your surprise ambush.

There's a couple of great ones personality wise. Piper can be useful if you beeline her early, get here influence up high early then explore.

Also helps if you find a decent 0.38 or 10mm legendary pistol.

Don't give companions and settlers explosives (grenades, rocket launchers, explosive legendary weapons).

For pure combat robot companions and strong a fairly good. Melee bot can solo a death claw easily enough.

pukunui

Legend
Dogmeats a meh companion outside the lone wanderer perk.
Yeah, but he's a good dog, and he was super sad when Piper told him he had to go home. :(

Companions tend to get in the way and run your surprise ambush.
Not if you tell them to stay put at the entrance. 😝

There's a couple of great ones personality wise. Piper can be useful if you beeline her early, get here influence up high early then explore.

Also helps if you find a decent 0.38 or 10mm legendary pistol.
I've mostly been using a modified version of the Resolute Authority laser gun that Paladin Danse gave me. I've just given Piper a sub machine gun but I'll see if I can get her something better. I might give her my modified Institute laser gun instead so I can see what she's shooting at. I've given all my Sanctuary settlers one. (Got a ton at that science facility when I went there with Danse and he got mobbed by the synths.)

Don't give companions and settlers explosives (grenades, rocket launchers, explosive legendary weapons).

For pure combat robot companions and strong a fairly good. Melee bot can solo a death claw easily enough.
I haven't tried Codsworth as a companion yet. Maybe I should. I had just been using Dogmeat till I met Piper.

Mods. Lots of mods.
Does this look like a good mod? Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat and Companion At Same Time - No Console - No Hack)

I wouldn't have a clue how to install it ...

Remove ads