• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Cover Reveal

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

The cover features a gold dragon behind the old-school D&D characters Strongheart the paladin, Mercion the cleric, Elkhorn the dwarf fighter, and Molliver the thief. Ringlerun the wizard is absent (then again he got his showcase on one of the 1E AD&D Player's Handbooks), but a drow mage appears to have joined the party!

IMG_3566.jpeg

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
see the post below yours for 2e designs

Also, the DL dragons were specifically (by design) riffs on the MM versions. They we different than the MM versions (easy to see with the black), but internally consistent within DL. The exception to this was Easley who often strayed with his dragon designs.

As a caveat, when I speak of the designs I am mostly talking about the chromatics. Other than the gold and silver, metallic designs seemed to be less fixed in 1e (but to be honest I rarely paid attention to them).
Right, but I am wondering about whether the depiction of the various dragon styles in adventures between MM and DL followed the MM general themes. I don't know adventures and stuff from that era well enough to recall myself.

Stormonu

Legend
Cool image, but definitely not in the MM style for black dragons. Out of curiosity, is D1-2 an AD&D or D&D adventure?
D1 is from 1978, so it would be OD&D, but the compilation D1-D2 was released during AD&D - I don't know if anything other than the cover art was changed when put into the compilation.

Remove ads

Remove ads