• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Alternate Art Cover Reveal

Alternate Player's Handbook cover art by Wylie Beckert.

Polygon revealed the alternate art for the 2024 Player's Handbook.

"Illustrated by Wylie Beckert, the alt art cover of the Player’s Handbook (2024) features a party comprised of D&D’s four iconic classes — the fighter, the wizard, the cleric, and the rogue — all gathered around a friendly gold dragon, sharing tea. This gentle scene stands in stark contrast to the mainline Player’s Handbook (2024), which will have a bright, bold cover by Tyler Jacobsen with similar characters posed in the moments before striking a blow."

0_DnD_PHB_ALT_Cvr_Full_Cvr.jpg.webp

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Most forms that ask for race in the US differentiate between Caucasian Latinx and non-Caucasian Latinx.

That said, why are we talking about real world race in this thread?
In my experience there are usually options for “White (not Hispanic/Latino)” and “Hispanic/Latino (not white)”, which has always left me uncertain how to respond, being white and 1/4 Puerto-Rican.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
I liked the standard cover well enough, but oh damn do I love this one! There’s an understated, almost melancholy quality to it that, while not what I typically associate with D&D, is very much up my alley when it comes to fantasy art. I hope the other core books get similar treatments.
Yeah, I was already a fan of the first one, but this one is so nice. I'd really like a new set with similar understated covers.

mamba

Legend
In my experience there are usually options for “White (not Hispanic/Latino)” and “Hispanic/Latino (not white)”, which has always left me uncertain how to respond, being white and 1/4 Puerto-Rican.
however you prefer, no one will take your DNA to verify it and fine you if you got it wrong

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
however you prefer, no one will take your DNA to verify it and fine you if you got it wrong
I mean, I know that, but that doesn’t stop it from being weird that there is usually not an option for mixed white and latina, which is what I consider myself. Claiming either not latina or not white feels wrong. Sometimes you can check multiple boxes, in which case I’ll just check both and let them figure out how to square that circle. Other times there’s an “other” option, in which case I’ll go with that.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Egyptian is White, according to the US legal definition.

US legal definition doesn't mean naughty word to the actual culture and what people consider white though. No one actually, in practices, considers Egpytians White or latinos White. You have to be really blind to reality and discrimination to see that.

I mean, I know that, but that doesn’t stop it from being weird that there is usually not an option for mixed white and latina, which is what I consider myself. Claiming either not latina or not white feels wrong. Sometimes you can check multiple boxes, in which case I’ll just check both and let them figure out how to square that circle. Other times there’s an “other” option, in which case I’ll go with that.

The newest revisions to US federal standard SPD 15 (effective 28 Mar 2024) for data of this type when collected by the US government is now about "race and/or ethnicity" and mandates allowing multiple check boxes.

The particular categories can be found by searching for figures at Federal Register SPD 15 . Using one of the three figures there is required for any federal agency trying to get at it, with the first being the default.

As noted by Umbran and Shardstone above, official policy and cultural norms are different, and Reynard notes it might be better to jump back to gaming. And, as Charlaquin notes, it will certainly make life fun for the federal statistics folks!

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads