• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Less is More: Why You Can't Get What You Want in D&D

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Hey, @Snarf Zagyg , some of us have real neurological trouble with flashing lights. Could you put a spoiler tag or something on that GIF? Thanks.

I like your opening mega post. I may have more to say after some rest, but that much for sure.

TiQuinn

That would never work.

Even the bean counters know that would never work.

No one will buy nonCore or niche updated reprints at full book price

That's why "Less is More" has to be planned. I don't know what WOTC is gonna do in 2026 when all the easy conversions of past settings and subclasses are all done.
They did this already with Xanathar’s and Tasha’s. I fully expect that to be their model for rule updates going forward.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
They did this already with Xanathar’s and Tasha’s. I fully expect that to be their model for rule updates going forward.
Tashas proves my point.

Tashas displayed that the WOTC team

1. is at their limit creatively of what they sre passionate about
  2. don't not leave enough design and power space in subclasses and feats that they could tinker without easily making OP stuff (Ie Peace and Twilight Clerics, psionic subclasses and feats.
There is a belief that 5e was designed to be shelfware and it shows. It shows hard.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well, as I said, there’s no reason for them to hold back. They have to keep creating to sell more books. It’s not really a problem they want to solve.
It's not that they have to not hold back

It's that frankly the main lead designers of D&D dont relate to their much younger audience.

And they didn't provide enough space to attempt it without creating a new subsystem.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I assure you, sir, if anyone can handle the crunch it is KANT!
Yeah, but he's still kind of a jerk:

dungeonsAndDragons.jpg
dungeonsAndDragons2.jpg

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's part of conversation about D&D that isn't discussion because younger fans don't want to sound against and older fans don't want to ponder whether their preferences are truly timeless.

So mechanical and narrative design around making a D&D that truly doesn't need many additions is danced around.

For example, if you truly wanted "less is more", subclasses and feats would be giant chunks of power that automatically upgrade and interchangeable but you'd be limited on 1 or 2 total.

This what you can hit every major secondary trope in fantasy in one big swoop and cater to old, middle, and young fans at the start. No need for a bunch of fiddly bits as the big honking slab of mechanics and lore fits 80% of desired content.

Remove ads