• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did YOU become an Immortal?

Impeesa

Explorer
Certainly some amount of just playing D&D and trying to map epic fantasy inspirations to high-level rules in my mind (the whole Final Fantasy series springs from a lot of D&D influence and then takes it in this direction), but the early Worship Points System threads almost certainly played a big part. In more recent years, watching movies that touched on the subject matter like Thor: Ragnarok and Moana has kept the dream alive. I also recently read Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness on the recommendation that it is perhaps the only literary work that truly describes epic-level D&D and was not disappointed in that regard, had I read that as a young teen it might also have done the trick.

Hey Impeesa buddy! :)

Certainly some amount of just playing D&D and trying to map epic fantasy inspirations to high-level rules in my mind (the whole Final Fantasy series springs from a lot of D&D influence and then takes it in this direction), but the early Worship Points System threads almost certainly played a big part. In more recent years, watching movies that touched on the subject matter like Thor: Ragnarok and Moana has kept the dream alive. I also recently read Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness on the recommendation that it is perhaps the only literary work that truly describes epic-level D&D and was not disappointed in that regard, had I read that as a young teen it might also have done the trick.

I would add Gygax' Gord the Rogue series, especially the last three of...

Sea of Death - Epic Level
Come Endless Darkness - Immortal Level
Dance of Demons - High Immortal Level, possibly low Overgod level at the end

and also I recommend the book Fortress of Eternity which is very cool.

I became a God when a woman said "OH GOD!!! OH GOD!!! OH GOD!!!" to me while in the throes of passion.
To which I replied (smugly and grinning), "Yes?".
Then she laughed, slapped me playfully, and called me a conceited B$st@rd.

Though...I have always been a nerd.
(Are we allowed to say such things on here? I tried not to be explicit.)

Remove ads