• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E D&D 4e Help me with my CBLoader

kronovan

Adventurer
I installed the Builder a few years ago and it still runs without a hitch, but I do recall it being a pain to install. That said, it's very slow on initial start up. My Memory is a bit foggy, but I remember having to downlaod many files and run many EXEs - believe they were dowloaders and extracters. I wanted my players to use the Builder to support a VTT campaign I ran via FG a few years back, but only one of them could successfully install it despite a number of them being quite computer savvy. I'm considering running another campaign, so I'm looking into the builder again.

What I'm wondering, is if there's a doc or website out there that has comprehensive set of instructions on how to install it?
All the readme files I have in my folders only give the briefest of installation steps. And a few aren't very helpful at all.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I installed the Builder a few years ago and it still runs without a hitch, but I do recall it being a pain to install. That said, it's very slow on initial start up. My Memory is a bit foggy, but I remember having to downlaod many files and run many EXEs - believe they were dowloaders and extracters. I wanted my players to use the Builder to support a VTT campaign I ran via FG a few years back, but only one of them could successfully install it despite a number of them being quite computer savvy. I'm considering running another campaign, so I'm looking into the builder again.

What I'm wondering, is if there's a doc or website out there that has comprehensive set of instructions on how to install it?
All the readme files I have in my folders only give the briefest of installation steps. And a few aren't very helpful at all.
There’s a 4E discord. They might know.

D'karr

Adventurer

@kronovan, PM me.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

It is better than that now... but still a bit meticulous about the steps

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I sent a message with the latest instructions on installing the CBLoader if you have issues The 4e Discord folk generally seem happy to help (some of them have been making sure the data is as accurate as it can be too). There is quite a selection of custom part files for that homebrew urge.

kronovan

Adventurer
I sent a message with the latest instructions on installing the CBLoader if you have issues The 4e Discord folk generally seem happy to help (some of them have been making sure the data is as accurate as it can be too). There is quite a selection of custom part files for that homebrew urge.
Many thanks for the replies Garthanos and D'Karr. I'll read those instructions.

Also:

Never, ever, ever run CBLoader from the .exe in the hidden directory. Always use the shortcut that gets created.

Seriously, I cannot emphasize this enough. If you are ever about to double-click on an .exe (as opposed to the shortcut), DON’T DO IT.

ABOUT THAT SHORTCUT

The shortcut that gets created can end up pointing to the wrong file.

Close all open instances of CB.

Right-click on the shortcut (on your dekstop or wherever you moved it to), do Properties, and look in the Target line. It needs to read as follows:

%APPDATA%\CBLoader\CBInstaller.exe

Exactly like that, with the percent symbols; explicitly pointing to CBInstaller.exe

and not pointing to any variety of CharacterBuilder.exe

You will probably get prompted by Windows to grant administrator privileges when you update the Target line; say yes.

Close any open instances of CB, then re-launch from that shortcut. when it loads up you should see a screen where it lists a ton of loaded modules.

If you did not see this screen when CB started, then your shortcut is still pointing to the wrong place.

You can try fixing the shortcut again, or the nuclear option which is to uninstall and start over.

Remove ads