• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bigger monsters do more damage

dave2008

Legend
How would you write this?
I do it like this:

Stomp. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 75 ft., one Gargantuan or smaller target or prone or incapacitated target with the colossal trait. Hit: 307 (35d8 + 150) bludgeoning damage and fall prone. Until Godzilla uses its Stomp again or moves, the target is restrained. While restrained in this way, the creature (or another creature within 5 feet of it) can use its action to make a DC 27 Strength check. On a success, the creature relocates to an unoccupied space of its choice within 5 feet of Godzilla and is no longer restrained. Each creature within a 30-foot radius of the target must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage, knocked prone, and restrained as the target.

dave2008

Legend
Pretty sure there are some Level Up A5E monsters that do something in this vein- I need to take a look. But I do think that a tail swipe affecting a 10ft cube or all creatures within the tail reach within some range of one-another... But I can't say that would reduce the number of attack types in a statblock without changing how those statblocks are presented.

You'd have to say "tail does XY damage," and then present a few different methods for how it could be applied (single target multi-attack, area, whatever). That'd be a bit of a change to a 5e monster statblock.
Yep, I do tail sweeps as cone of damage, but same idea

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The CR could increase yes. That is not issue. It is conceptually what it means to be bigger. Bigger stronger things do more damage when they hit. I know this doesn't 100% jive with the abstract nature of D&D combat and damage. Also, I am not talking about DPR, but simply attack damage. You could, in theory adjust the DPR to stay in the original CR range. See the revised red dragon I just posted in this thread.
There is no link between size and damage, only CR. If you want a creature to do more damage because it's "bigger", you increase the CR and the damage increases.

In other words, all you are saying is "make larger creatures have a higher CR to justify more damage" - there can not be a link between damage and size that bypasses CR.

dave2008

Legend
Do you make a single roll to hit, a roll vs each affected, or a dex save?
I have done it both ways. Here is one from a black dragon I made:

Tail Sweep (Costs 3 Actions). The dragon makes a tail attack on each creature within a 30-foot cone and it can then take the hide action if it is in a swamp or darkness. On a hit, the target is also knocked prone.

Remove ads